Friday, October 24, 2014

Project Bump: One Last Knit Dress

Today, Phin is meeting me for lunch and to help pack up my office plants and other personal things (eg: the pile of shoes under my desk) for while I'm on leave. I have just 2 weeks of work left and only 4 1/2 until my due date, and I've started getting stressed about how much there is left to do before Raspberry's birth.    

So, a little bit of re-framing and readjusting sewing plans is necessary. There are so many projects that I had hoped to do, but in the end simply won't have time for. But here is one last knit dress.





It was inspired by this batwing dress by Alex and Alex Maternity. I don't really love batwing styles on me and I didn't love how unfitted this was over the bust. So, I went my own way, just using the idea of the hook and eye tape.


Found on Gilt.com

If you remember my Sew Sexy Sew Along lace dress, this is close kin to it. I frankenpatterned together V8670, a Very Easy Vogue raglan tee pattern (made here and here) for the top half, and the bottom of V1314, that Tracy Reese dress that I've made multiple times both before and during pregnancy (here, here and here). I sewed the top with a little extra ease at the bust and used my maternity version of the bottom of the dress.  I love that this merges two TNTs together for an easy sew with some fun details.



Turning to the side to squish through tighter spaces doesn't work anymore. Ask how I know.  LOL 

In this case, the fun detail is that I used lace trimmed hook and eye tape to finish the raglan sleeves. Since the raglan seam runs all the way up the raglan sleeve to the neckline, this means that I can unhook each side in order to nurse. I tested out having the trim go across the neckline too, but it was not comfortable in the least. So, I finished the neckline without it. 



Lace hook and eye tape from Pacific Trimming

Anyway, this really was one more dress than I needed to get me through work. But I thought this would give me something to wear that is pretty and functional when we introduce Raspberry to family if we are up to attending any holiday gatherings. 

Happy Friday, everyone!  

17 comments:

Clio said...

love that you turned the hook and eye tape into something so functional! you will be really proud of that if you decide to attend any holiday gatherings with friends and family, i am sure! :-)

Clio said...

That's brilliant! Now I know what to do with all the leftover hook and eye tape from MY sew sexy sew-along project lol. How are you so pregnant and still so stylish?

Clio said...

That is such cool & ingenious detail! Love it.

Clio said...

Super-cute dress. I love the hook and tape functional trim.

Clio said...

You look fantastic! How I love Pacific Trims!

Clio said...

You are truly a genius! Hook and eye tape is a fabulous trim, AND, also fabulously practical for nursing.

Clio said...

I love how the tape looks. This dress is very flattering

Clio said...

That dress looks very nice on you! You and Phin are going to be great parents. :)

Clio said...

Very nice dress Clio. I can't you are so close to your due date. Wishing you and your family all the best.

Clio said...

That hook and eye tape is awesome!

Clio said...

Beautiful dress and the hook and eye tape is fabulous. You look great!

Clio said...

Thanks! Ironically, I feel like I've been WAY more stylish pregnant than I normally am. No days of just pulling on trousers and a top.

Clio said...

I KNOW that Phin will be great as a parent - he's so calm and organized. I'll be the utterly devoted, if a bit more chaotic, parent. ;-)

Clio said...

Thanks, Faye! It's really starting to feel "real" now.

Clio said...

Love, love, love this! I may steal that hook and eye tape idea for a non-maternity dress!

Clio said...

I would LOVE to see how you interpret this idea!!!

Clio said...

You look like a rock star with your sunglasses and hook and eye tape!!