Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Frankendress #3: Now a Skirt

Sometimes a compromise is the best solution.  After considering the options for my failed Frankendress #3, I decided to try quickly adding a sleeve. It didn't work. Not at all. Aside from having to invest a lot of time to make the sleeve/shoulder area fit in a pleasing way if I wanted to go ahead with that, there is just no remedy for a too short top that - if I raised my arm at all - would leave a seam across my bust.

So, I decided to save the bottom half as a skirt.



At first I was somewhat disappointed with this outcome, since I thought the dress would be rather chic. However, now that I look at pictures, I'm feeling very good about this outfit. It has a similar vibe to what I was hoping for in the dress. 

As a very quick recap, this is the Megan Nielsen ruched maternity skirt that I was trying to frankenpattern into a dress. At this point, I could sew this skirt in my sleep since this is my 5th iteration (3 skirts + 2 frankendresses).




The knit fabric was a gift from the Sewing Cave.  The color - which is practically navy - is not one that I normally gravitate to, but I find the print and the mix of black and blue very appealing for some reason. I have enough fabric left, that if I want to alter this for post-pregnancy wear, there will be enough for a new top.




And here is the obligatory bump shot.

It's going to be a busy week for posts to make up for the last two.  I have two more completed sewing projects and two that are half done.  Plus I need to motivate myself to finish three knitting projects that just need some seaming or sewing together.  It seems that, with just six weeks until my due date, my energy flags in the evening, when I would normally do finishing work.  Wish me luck, as we go into the final countdown.

8 comments:

Clio said...

You look great! Stay healthy, let your body get the rest it needs. Congratulations on the Raspberry. Your figure looks just the same as before except for the baby bump in front, how did you do that? I was big and fat all over.

Clio said...

Thanks so much. Honestly, it's probably just simple genetics. Every woman just carries differently.

Clio said...

It's utterly bizarre that you don't look pregnant except at a certain angle. Alas, my genetics predisposed me to look pregnant at EVERY angle. And then some :-) Gotta love those long waists!

Clio said...

Totally! I think this skirt shows it better than some of the other things I've blogged which make it look more pronounced from the front. I'm still underachieving in the bump department. I'm fine with it now.

Clio said...

These Bump makes are fabulous. Really stunning.

Clio said...

Looks great as a skirt - love the whole look.

Clio said...

looking good there, raspberry!!

Clio said...

Good call! That looks great as a separate in this outfit.