With summer coming, I realized that Phin needed more shorts in his wardrobe. And since I have the perfect pattern for him already worked out, I decided that it would be no big deal to sew up two more pairs and just change around some of the details.
|Front: Gusseted patch pockets with heaps of top stitching
|Back: The most laborious patch pockets ever with pleats and flaps
Well, this time, instead of the labor-intensive patch pockets with all of their pleats, gussets, flaps and top stitching, I decided to convert the front pockets to slash pockets and the back pockets to just one double welt pocket. It should tell you something about how labor intensive the pockets on the first shorts were if a welt pocket is a time saving alternative.
So, here are Phin's two new shorts.
I sewed the seersucker ones first. I had to do a little experimentation with drafting the slash pockets. They ended up just large enough. And I should have made the pocket facing larger so that there would be no risk of the pocketing showing.
Also, Phin and I decided that the seersucker model should have cuffs, which I think is a fun detail that makes them look different from his other shorts.
Phin likes to put his wallet and/or phone in his back left pocket, despite being right handed. This strikes me as odd since I favor the right back pocket, myself. But maybe I'm the strange one? At any rate, the welt pocket is on the back left side and I used my trusty welt pocket method - Kenneth King's Designing Details: Pockets class on Craftsy. It really is a no-fail method IMHO.
|Welt pockets outside
|Welt pockets inside
The second pair of shorts are in a lime green cotton twill. They have the same pockets as the seersucker shorts, although the slash pockets have been enlarged just a bit for Phin's big paws. Again, I should have made the facing a bit larger.
|Phin really likes the remnant I used for pocketing
|Slash pockets from the inside
So, there you have it. Two new shorts to compliment the originals. I think this is a pretty successful experiment in making three shorts from the same pattern, but mixing up the details so that they don't look like the same exact shorts.
The only other details are that I used my TNT fly method, also from a Kenneth King Craftsy class - Jean-ius. All the seam allowances are finished by serger. I'll add that these two shorts are some of my most nicely and neatly sewn garments. The insides really look good!
And now here are some shots of Phin wearing the shorts. These are both after hours of wear and while chasing Taco around various yards - not wrinkle-free staged shots, but in actual use.
First, the green ones in our yard...
|Not sure Phin knew I was taking this photo...
And here are the seersucker ones on Father's Day at my parent's house. Looking at all these pictures, I can't help thinking that this daddy thing really agrees with Phin, but maybe it's the shorts.
And we're out...