Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Hmmm, maybe I won't be wearing this on Thanksgiving...

I basted my purple cowl neck 3 Graces top together last night. I had optimistically been thinking that I would wear it on Thanksgiving.

Yes, you will have to make do with a picture of the top on a hanger
rather than looking horrible on me.


That may have been premature. Once I finished basting, I tried the top on: too big. Shapeless. Baggy. Well, it did fit at the hip, but not anywhere else. I had cut a size 12 based on both my bust and underbust measurements.

I usually end up having to taper my tops at the waist. It's my normal adjustment to both the things I sew and to RTW. However, this top is too big at the shoulders, and I'm not yet sure how to fix it.

I think I will have to do some investigating at PatternReview.com and elsewhere to see if others had this problem and what they did about it. Hopefully, in between pie baking tomorrow, I will find some time to work on it.

Thank goodness it is only basted together!

4 comments:

MS said...

Mmmmmm... pie.

Did you say something else?

30 before 30 said...

Weird! It even looks frumpy on the hanger!

Wear something with an elastic waist and bring your appetite!!!

Clio said...

I know; it looks all saggy and baggy!

I totally won't need the extra room: my Turkey trot in the morning will make enough room!

Linda said...

I had to laugh, because i think we made almost the exact same shirt with different fabric and a different pattern. I used fabric from JoAnns and a burda pattern.
http://sewinlikethewind.blogspot.com/2009/10/cowl-2.html