Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Color Play and Could It Be a TNT?

Besides sewing up my red knit dress over the weekend (post to follow), I also forged ahead on two pairs of summer pants.  I've been loving the colorful trouser trend but have not found any RTW versions that fit and flatter (seriously, not a shocker).  But with summer coming, I've decided to take matters into my own hands.

Last week, I trotted over to Gray Line Linen and came away with two pieces of very nice and reasonably priced linen - red and blue. I like to line or underline warm weather garments in batiste or similarly light weight cotton. Also, I abhor show through on linen pants. Since linen tends to have a somewhat open weave or translucent nature, I decided to play with the colors of my lining. Here's what I came up with.

Christmas red linen with lemony lining

For the red linen, I'm going to line with a bright sunshine yellow. I'm hoping that the yellow will bring out the orange tones in this very Christmas-y colored linen. 
 

Denim blue linen with kiwi green lining

My second piece of linen is the perfect classic denim shade of blue. Doesn't it look like denim in this shot? I had been thinking about getting a more turquoise colored linen, but didn't find a color I liked. So, instead, I'll line in this eye popping kiwi green.

Because summer is a short season, I don't really want to spend loads of time working on a new-to-me pattern. I've decided to go with Burda 6/2011-114, an easy pull on pant that I've sewn twice before.

Burda 6/2011-114

The pattern is a real winner for me.You remember my seersucker pants with cuffs from last summer and my fun flower border print pants with flared legs from the year before, don't you?  Both summers my sisters have had to threaten me with an intervention if I didn't wear things other than these Burda pants.

And once I've sewn four versions of one pattern, it really is enough to start calling it a TNT. True? I don't really have any other TNT patterns. I usually sew something once and then I'm on to the next challenge.

The only flaw with my first two versions of these pants is that I have to do an itty bitty wiggle dance to get them over my hips.This is what comes from having curvy hips paired with a proportionally small waist.  So, these linen versions will have the elastic waistband, but I'm also adding a fly front.

The red pants are cut and partially sewn, and the blue version is ready to be cut.  I'll leave you today with the happy fabric rainbow that is in my Craft Lounge.

Yay Summer Sewing!

13 comments:

Clio said...

Gotta love some Happy Pants! I'm glad you chose such bright colors. Even if no one else but you ever sees the screaming yellow and eye-popping green, these will be happy pants. My lipstick red cotton twill summer pants finally became too threadbare and tawdry to wear about in public, so I'm on the hunt for the same-color fabric to make up, in a different style. Maybe linen? Maybe something from the edgier range of the Burda catalog? Happy "Happy Pants" to you, Miz Clio, honey.

Clio said...

Ooo, thanks for mentioning a new-to-me fabric store! I look forward to seeing your summer creations.

Clio said...

Is there anything happier than happy pants? I think not! ;-)

Clio said...

It you want linen, they are the place to go. (period)

Clio said...

I think 4 times counts as a TNT. I love this pattern as well, so I can't wait to see your finished versions!

Clio said...

You chose some very nice pieces. Looks like a great summer wardrobe to me!

Clio said...

"You remember my seersucker pants with cuffs from last summer and my fun flower border print pants with flared legs from the year before, don't you?"
Do I??
I will never never ever forget the flower border print pants! -Unless maybe if I get clonked over the head with a flower-pot and lose all memory. Then a vision of beautiful pants will swim up into my consciousness and I will smile hazily in my head-bandaged stupor. Happy pants indeed.

Clio said...

Wowee those flower-border pants are the best! I'm eager to see these new versions. I had a great pair of linen shorts with a drawstring and fly combo, too bad they are too small now :(

Clio said...

LOL - I'm quite certain they are not the last pair of flowered pant's I'll ever own! But they are one of my most favorite projects ever.

Clio said...

It's a really great pattern, right? Especially for a pull on pant.

Clio said...

I've made this pattern twice in linen blend fabric. If I were to do them again in linen I'd definitely line them (as you have) as the linen has a tendency to grow as the day goes on and bag out in the keister. Not a good look... Can't wait to see your finished versions!

Clio said...

Thanks! Yeah, I haven't actually sewn with linen before, but have owned RTW linen. It really "grows" throughout the day. So, I'm hoping that my cotton lining will keep them in check. Fingers crossed!

Clio said...

Fun! I'm with you-- I hate the see-through linen look! These are gorgeous. Gray Line is one of my favorite stores. :)