Sunday, July 24, 2011

Burda Flowered Border Print Pants: Yea or Nay?

Well, here they are: my Burda elastic waist pull-on pants (Burda 6/2011 - 114) in a very fun border print. I knew there was risk involved in making flowered pants. So, I'm interested for your thoughts on how they came out. Would you wear these out of the house?

Here I am feeling all jazzed

I did. I wore them today to a small family get together to celebrate my mom's birthday. I felt pretty jazzed about them when I left home, but midway through the day I started wondering if that was a symptom of the extreme heat we've been having in the northeast. Are they too much?



On the plus side, I really love the border print - it's just so fun! It's a nice cool cotton underlined in a very light batiste - cool and crisp. And I felt fun and cool on such a humid hot day. Also, this Burda pattern is a real winner. I've made pull-on pants/pj's before (both KwikSew and Amy Butler patterns) and the fit in them was terrible - really baggy legs and a ridiculously long crotch. But not these ones! They fit exactly like I would want. The only changes I made are that I belled out from knee to hem to show off more of the border and I took the hip-to-waist in just a tiny bit.


I can't help but feel that these are really kind of fun, carefree and perfect for hot days, the beach and my upcoming cruise vacation. But maybe I like them because of the great fit and the cool comfort they allow. Phin gave them a thumbs up, but part of me is a little nervous that I look like an extra in a disco-era movie or that I look like I should be hosting a children's television show. What do you think?

Update: Apologies! I got so caught up in mulling over the fabric that I forgot to mention a few key points!
  • I also omitted the pockets from this pattern since I can't stand pocket show-thru on white pants and also didn't want any extra bulk at the hips. 
  • I underlined using the Hong Kong seam method where you underline and finish the seams all in one swoop. It was easy and worked beautifully! The inside of these pants look so very nicely finished!
  • I plan to make these pants again, although I may return the leg width back to normal. I think these would be great in a cosy knit as loungewear or in a silk as a dressy pant.

15 comments:

Sheryll said...

I know what you mean as I'm going through the same thing with my jumpsuit! I think they are great for resort wear and lounging around home on hot days, which is exactly what you said they are for! Sometimes you just have to be 'in the mood' too.

Peter Lappin said...

I love those pants, and might I suggest a big black straw hat to go with them? Perfect for summer!

gwensews said...

I think those pants are cute as can be! Heck yes--wear them, not just in the house, either.

Mar-Mar said...

I think these a so hip and super! I bet you will hear compliments rolling in when you where them out on the town. I love the fabric and I love this pattern.

Love the pants with the one shoulder top. Nice pairing!

make.share.give said...

The pants are the coolest! You did a great job on them. Perfect for your cruise.

Marie-Christine said...

Yeah! They're really cute, and work well with your simple black top. Do wear them out of the house, really.

Tanit-Isis said...

Oh, they are fun and crazy! And that shirt is perfect with them (I like Peter's sunhat idea, too).

Faye Lewis said...

Cute cute cute. You've got a winner there.

Virginia's Daughter said...

Yay! Yay! and YAY! Definitely! Those are one of a kind pair of knock em out pants! Not to mention they look super comfy. They look great on you too! I love how you've situated the print of the fabric! You've done a great job with these. Don't be surprised is someone copies you........

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

Love, love,love. They look smashing and fit you so well. Must wear them out and about!

Kimbersew said...

Oh my Ghod Yes!! You are totally rocking those pants! and yes I might possibly feel the same way if I were to wear them, because they are not within my easy comfort zone really. But you look like a rock-star princess on holiday on the Riviera, and saying so out loud to yourself every five minutes will make it no less so! Love them!!

Clio said...

"a rock-star princess on holiday on the Riviera" - LMAO - that is possibly the best compliment I have ever received! Thanks!

Sheila said...

Hey there Ms. Groovy... the outfit looks great on you and if I saw you on the street my shout out would be Work It Sister... Woooork It!

lakaribane said...

I saw this and instantly thought of you:

http://www.couturesnob.com/2011/11/top-5-notice-me-pants-keep-your-pants-on.html

Congratulations for being ahead of the trend!

Clio said...

Love! You look like you just stepped out of Mad Men latest series. Or Miami in the 60s, with a dry martini (or whatever cocktail you fancy), rich Lady Who Lunches!