Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Lobster Three Ways: Part I

For Father's Day, we decided on a Surf & Turf menu for my Pop. Phineas and I were in charge of the lobsters and decided we would serve them 3 ways to utilize every ounce of meat - Lobster Croquetas, Butter Poached Lobster Claws, and Stuffed Tails. To prep the lobsters, Phineas had them par-steamed by the supermarket and then disassembled them at home (tails removed, claw meat de-shelled, and leg and knuckle meat de-shelled). Today, I will focus on the Croquetas... mostly because I can't stop thinking about them. Muy delicioso!


Lobster Croquetas
This recipe is from Jose Andres, the executive chef of Jaleo, my favorite tapas restaurant. The base of the croquetas is a very thick bechamel. The original recipe is made with chicken and ham, but I substituted the lobster meat from the legs and knuckles, and you could really use whatever kind of meat or veg you wanted in them.
  • 1 stick butter (unsalted)
  • 1/2 Spanish onion diced
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 4 cups milk
  • 6 oz lobster meat, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg or other herb/spice of your choosing
  • flour, eggs and breadcrumbs for breading
  • oil for frying
Melt butter over low heat and add onion. Saute until translucent. Add flour and stir until evenly disbursed (it will make flour and onion pebbles). Cook for several minutes until golden. Add milk. Stir constantly until the mixture is thick enough to shape by hand. Stir in lobster, salt and seasoning. Spread out onto a cookie sheet to cool. When cool enough to handle, mold into wine cork size/shape logs. Bread the logs (basic flour-egg-breadcrumb method) and fry until golden and crispy. Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Makes 40-60 depending on how large you make 'em. Enjoy.

These were outrageously good. We made them small and all 60 disappeared. Next time, I think I will probably do a more traditional ham and chicken version too. In fact, I think that subconsciously I posted the recipe in the hopes that someone will find an excuse for me to make them again soon.

No comments: