Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Back to the Kitchen

Since I am sadly still without an oven, I am resorting to posting recipes that don't require heat. My corn salad recipe has become a summer staple. Actually, I am not even sure I can even call it a recipe since it is entirely raw. But, since I get lots of requests, here is the "recipe". No cooking required.

Summer Corn Salad
  • 4-6 ears corn (raw)
  • 2-3 plum tomatoes or 1/2 carton of grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 med red onion
  • 1 jalapeño pepper
  • 1 bunch cilantro, minced
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional ingredients (any assortment of): 2 avocados, 1 large cucumber, 1 can black beans (rinsed), 1 mango, 1-2 red peppers, parsley (to replace some or all cilantro)
Shuck the corn and cut the kernels off the ears. Dice tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño. Rinse the onion in cool water to tame the bite, if you want. Toss all the ingredients together including any of the optional ingredients. Season generously with salt and pepper.

Here it is before the addition of tomato, avocado and red onion. I
never remember to take photos of my finished projects! It's a problem.

For Terpiscory's recent shower, I made this salad with added black beans and avocado since it was one of our vegetarian offerings. It was a blazingly hot day and the salad was cool, refreshing and looked bright and colorful on the buffet. I made it raw, but you could grill the corn lightly before taking it off the cob if you really wanted. However, if you have never had raw corn, I highly recommend that you give it a try. It is fresh, crisp and delicious.

1 comment:

2BSewing: said...

I'll have to try this recipe. It looks yummy and colorful. I am always on the look out for vegetarian dishes for DH and myself. Thanks for sharing this recipe. :)