Thursday, December 4, 2014

Tree of Life Baby Blanket

The first thing I knit, but one of the last projects I finished is a Tree of Life Baby Blanket. Back in July, I posted that I was having problems motivating myself to seam the border to the center panel.




This "condition" continued until last week when I finally sat down and stitched the blanket together and then blocked it.





I think it came out beautifully. Sadly, I'm really struggling with indoor photography on these dreary days. But here are some of the details.


Tree details


I love the cable work trees. So pretty!

Flower Garden




Tulip Border Detail



I think, in the end, my seaming looks pretty great, by which I mean "mostly invisible."

This is actually a free pattern from Lion Brand Yarn (click here). I'm usually a little skeptical about free patterns but I thought this was just so beautiful. It's based on Nicky Epstein's full size Tree of Life Afghan and calls for Lion Brand's "Pound of Love" yarn, which is an acrylic worsted weight yarn. Since I prefer natural fibers, I used Cascade 220 Superwash, which I seem to favor for baby knitting. It's very soft and washable, but tends to grow. So, I would use caution before using it for sweaters or other fitted items.  

Not much else to say except that we are sooooo over this still waiting thing... I've been doing a bit better recently at keeping up on Instagram. If you aren't familiar with it, it's a platform for posting a photo with a small caption. It's fun for micro-blogging and WIP's. So, you may want to follow me there: Instagram

17 comments:

Clio said...

that's such a lovely pattern! hurry up raspberry! how long will they let you go over? in the uk it's 2 weeks.

Clio said...

Same here. A lot of dr's will start to pressure for inducing earlier than that, but because I'm seeing midwives (more holistic) they will let us go 2 weeks over (so 42 weeks - until Tuesday) as long as we are doing well (we are). So, I feel like we will have every opportunity to take our time and do this right, but in the end, what's best for Raspberry...

Clio said...

That is sooooo beautiful!!!

Clio said...

I've never seen a border like that! gorgeous, washable, growable heirloom piece- or loved and chewed down into blankie-bits that will be held tight in little fists. You are a wonder!

Clio said...

OH IT IS gorgeous!

Clio said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! Waiting is so tough, but raspberry will arrive very soon. The end of a pregnancy is a tough time because it is physically uncomfortable and especially after the "official" due date it feels like you ought to be done. You really only have a short time to wait now as the doctors won't let you go much longer. It looks like you are using your time very productively in the meantime.

Clio said...

So pretty! Actually everything you've been posting lately is totally awesome (I've been reading, but my computer hasn't been very cooperative about letting me comment... internet issues on my end have been driving me nuts all week).


And, um, I don't know if this will make you feel better... but I was 3 weeks late. Apparently I was very determined to ignore outside attempts until I was forcibly evicted. So, um, I guess my only advice is hang in there? It will happen soon enough, and good luck!

Clio said...

That's amazing! Well impressed by your knitting skills. Raspberry, surely you want to see what Mommy has just made for you? Come out now. I'm sure your new picture perfect blanket will be just as comfy as Mommy's womb.

Clio said...

Needless to say, my hunches are worth NOTHIN' :-)

Clio said...

It looks incredibly beautiful :)

Clio said...

This is a really beautiful make. Wish I could knit. What a lovely thing to keep in the family. I waited 2 weeks over my due date. Enjoy the time.

Clio said...

Thanks! I've only been knitting for a few years now - once you learn the basics (knit, purl) it's not as hard as sewing, IMHO. We're trying to relax and catch, up on movies, eat nice meals...

Clio said...

Ha! The latest suggestion I've heard is that Raspberry is waiting until tomorrow's full moon...

Clio said...

What a gorgeous heirloom blanket. Wow. That would be one that I'd fold and put away for a keepsake after Raspberry outgrows it. Unless, of course, it becomes the favourite which gets dragged everywhere for comfort.

Clio said...

I'm no knitter, but that is incredibly beautiful. Now we just need a Raspberry to go on it!

Clio said...

I'm so glad you finished this! It's absolutely gorgeous!

Clio said...

You and Raspberry are in my thoughts- wishing you comfort and joy, Kimber