Friday, February 4, 2011

Gung hay fat choy!

Happy Chinese New Year! May you become prosperous. 

Having married into a Chinese-American family, celebrating the new year has become a norm in my home life. Yesterday I ate a bowl of noodles (long and unbroken for longevity) and also fish, as is traditional for the multi-day new year celebration. It is also traditional to clean and sweep the house in the hopes of inviting in good fortune. So, um, you know what my weekend will be like - early spring cleaning! 

Jessica Rabbit - I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.

In case you were wondering, it is the Year of the Rabbit, which is my zodiac symbol. So, it should be a lucky year for me and all the other rabbits out there. Rabbits are serene, trustworthy, empathic, fashionable, diplomatic, sincere, sociable, and are caretakers. And, to put it politely, they are "romantic" creatures. Wood Rabbits (1915 and 1975), like me, tend to put the needs of their friends and family ahead of their own. They are peacemakers and avoid conflict.

1 comment:

Mar-Mar said...

Happy New Year! Sounds like a good idea - early spring cleaning! Maybe if I start, the snow will stop. Also, I like the long unbroken noodles and fish...sounds like a great holiday to celebrate!