Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Winter Blahs & My Pencil Skirt Reveal

For the last few weeks I have been suffering from the winter blahs. And every time I try to give myself a kick in the pants to get me moving again (like my new running program), I seem to stall (like my sneakers going kaput on day 1).

However, last night, I did manage to pull myself together for long enough to make Phineas snap a few pictures of me in my pencil skirt. (Go figure, I'm wearing it with a cowl neck.)

I think I am finished, but I am not 100% certain. I may tinker some more. I had trouble getting the darts to lay flat, I think because of how thick/stiff the fabric is. So it is causing that wrinkle/pucker across the tummy, which looks worse in the picture than in real life, I think. You can see it in the side view photo, too. The darts end where it puckers out, and then it slopes in. See?

Although, now that I think about this more, I wonder if my waist being about an inch lower in the front contributes to there being extra fabric there to droop. Hmm, I need to think this over.

That said, I am pretty happy with this project for a number of reasons. I really like the fabric for one, and showcasing it with a simple pattern is exactly what I wanted to do. However, along the way I used some new tools and techniques. And this was my first project on plaid.

I already told you about using my new invisible zipper foot to install the zipper. In addition, I used my new 5mm narrow hem foot to finish the lining. It definitely took some getting used to because you have to use a very light touch and not try to make the fabric roll. The foot does it for you.

Lining sewn with my new narrow hemmer.

Matching up the plaid went ok, but not perfect. After I had finished the back, I learned a better technique for cutting plaid so that it will match better in the future.

Overall, I am mostly happy with the project and I'll defintiely get some wear out of this skirt. It came together easily, fits pretty well and I think is a fun addition to my wardrobe.

No comments: