Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Unstuck... Except Perhaps the Roof of my Mouth

So, after a few tries, I did complete the 8 minute run session of my 5K training program and am once again progressing nicely with my running. Hurray!

I'm still hungry and definitely peanut butter obsessed. When I was in a bookstore the other day, I couldn't resist picking up Peanut Butter Planet, a cookbook that was in the bargain bin.

A whole cookbook devoted to one of my favorite ingredients!

According to an article that Erato sent me, the humble PB&J is the perfect food for a runner. So, I'm letting my peanut butter instincts run free for now, and for this week's Blue Plate, we revisit Peanut Noodles, but this time with a recipe from my new cookbook.

Just pulse the following in a food processor: 1 garlic clove, 2 tsp minced ginger, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 c peanut butter, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 c water. Simmer this on low while you cook your pasta. The recipe called for soba, but I used whole wheat linguini, which was perfect. Saute 3 c of spinach while your pasta cooks. When the pasta is done, toss everything together. I served this with some sliced grilled chicken and a drizzle of sesame oil.

Again, these noodles were good - and definitely satisfying - but not perfect. Next time, I will reduce the amount of lemon juice (2 tsp max) and add some crushed red pepper flakes for a little zip. Also, I am not sure how much the spinach brought to the party. I think carrots, sprouts and snow peas are probably the better accompaniments.

No comments: