Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Not-ella: Homemade Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread

It is a well documented fact that I have a thing for nuts. One of my favorite nut products is Nutella, but I try not to eat it too often because it is rather sweet and it contains partially hydrogenated peanut oil, which offends my anti-trans fat sensibilities.

So when Phineas emailed me this article from the LA Times on homemade Nutella, I saw it as a golden opportunity. If I could make my own (my beady brain rationed), then I could control the amount of sugar AND eliminate the transfats. Off to the kitchen I went.

First you roast your hazelnuts in the oven until they are nicely toasted (2 cups for 5 min). While they are still warm, you use a dish towel to rub the skin off them. I was surprized at how easy this step was.

Pre-toasing
Then you grind them into a paste in your food processor (it takes about 5 minutes).

Then add cocoa (1/2 c), powdered sugar (1/2 c to start and more to taste), vanilla (1tsp) and hazelnut oil (3 tbsp) or whatever neutral oil you have (canola, etc). Oh, don't forget a pinch of salt.

I used a dark valrhona cocoa, which was excellent, but I should have started with less. My Not-ella turned out very dark and chocolatey. I ended up using about 3/4c of sugar total (1/4c less than the recipe). I think if I had used just 1/4-1/3c of cocoa, I would probably use even less sugar.

MMMmmmmm... a slice of cinnamon raisin toast with my Not-ella on top. Delicious!

I'm a bit worried about using all my Not-ella before it goes bad (2 weeks maybe?). So, if you have any suggestions about how else I can use it up - either in baking recipies or how you like to eat it, please let me know!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want some! MMM...
must make notella

mar-mar

30 before 30 said...

The best way to use Not-ella before it goes bad is to put it in tupper ware or an old jar and bring it to your sisters! LOL

But seriously, didn't you make cookies with nutella once?

Clio said...

You do have a point. Unfortunately, I won't be visiting during it's shelf life.

I made nutella filled wontons - fried and served with powdered sugar. But they have to pretty much be eaten right away.