Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Lyle's Golden Syrup


One of the things I did at the end of last week was stock up on Lyle's Golden Syrup, which I will be using in my pecan pie experiments. It isn't the easiest ingredient to find, but Phineas learned that a British ex-pat import store in the Village carried it, and so I trekked downtown to pick some up. (I later learned that my local wine store/gourmet market carries it, too. Oh well. Lesson learned.)

If you are not familiar with Lyle's, it is basically cane syrup with added vanilla. In the UK it is used for baking, drizzling on pancakes, and other sticky applications - basically where we would use maple syrup or honey. Four tins should be enough for working on my corn-syrup-free pecan pie recipe. However, if it isn't or if I need more to make my Thanksgiving pies, I now know where to find it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found a smallish bottle of it at Stop & Shop in Willimantic, CT. It wasn't in their international section - although they carry favorites like spotted dick and processed peas from the UK. I found it in the baking section next to the corn syrup. I haven't tried it yet...however, it won't be long!

Mar-Mar

DrBMBridge said...

Would that ex-pat store be Myers of Keswick by any chance? Fantastic shoppe

Clio said...

Yes! It is Myers of Keswick. My shopping buddy ended up overindulging on Cadbury Flakes.