Monday, October 6, 2008

Final Birthday Reflections

I had a wonderful birthday weekend! I've been planning to buy a new and upgraded sewing machine for myself this fall and my parents and sisters are all contributing to it as a birthday gift!

Because it wouldn't be a birthday in my family without my mom's fluffy chocolate icing, here is the recipe. Even a cake from a mix is somehow more special with this icing.

  • 1 pt heavy/whipping cream
  • 1 cup confectioners sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
Mix the sugar and cocoa together in a small bowl. Pour cream into the bowl of a stand mixer (large bowl and hand mixer is ok too). Start whipping the cream on high. When it starts to thicken, turn the mixer off and begin adding the cocoa mixture in thirds, beating to incorporate after each addition. Keep beating. When the icing holds a medium stiff peak you are done. Do not overbeat. Makes enough for one generously iced cake.

No comments: