Friday, October 31, 2008

'Tis now the very witching time of night, When churchyards yawn and hell itself breathes out, Contagion to this world. ~ William Shakespeare


It seems appropriate to post about my latest obsession, Twilight, on Halloween.

A few weeks ago Polyhymnia lent me the 4 book series. In all fairness, she did warn me that Twilight was addictive. But I didn't take her warning seriously and now I am stuck - obsessed with a neo-gothic teen vampire romance. I called her when I was half way thru and accused her of being a literary crack dealer.

Yes, I know how cheesy that all sounds - teen vampire love. And the books are not without flaws. The author's gratuitous use of the words "dazzle" and "smug" are reason enough for censure. However, the world and characters she's created are compelling. Love blazes in the all-or-nothing, forbidden fruit way that the teenage girl lurking in the back corner of your mind will devour. Fans have even been saying that Edward (our hero) is the new Harry. Nonsense, I say. Harry was never as sexy.

OK, so am I encouraging you to read these books? NO. Absolutely not. Consider yourself warned: Twilight is like crack- highly addictive, chocolate coated crack. Thank god I only have to wait until November 21 for my next fix, when the movie comes out. Other addicts are welcome to join me and Poly at the midnight showing.

No comments: