Friday, October 16, 2009

Want Fries with That?



After my birthday dinner, I chastised Phineas for not making enough oven fries to go with his Oktoberfest menu of sausages and fixings. He protested that he had made a whole 5lb bag. "Impossible!" I told him.

It was not until I was hanging out with Magenta and Dr Kiang that I learned the real truth. Apparently, the potato wedges were a (silent) big hit and all five pounds were gobbled up. I guess I hadn't thought about how much time and how many batches it has taken for me and Phin to really perfect our method of getting oven fries that are crispy and delicious. So, since M and Dr K demanded that I reveal "the secret", here it is.

Crispy Oven Fries "Secret" Method
  1. Place a large baking sheet in the (cold) oven and heat the oven to 400 or so degrees - you want it hot!
  2. Prep potatoes: Cut up your spuds (Phin likes wedges best because then you can get them browned on the 2 cut sides)
  3. Dress spuds: Toss with oil (I use canola), generous amt of salt and whatever herbs/seasonings you want (garlic, rosemary, pepper, paprika, etc).
  4. When the oven is heated, take the scorching hot pan out of the oven and give it a quick spray with Pam or other cooking spray. Arrange potato wedges with one cut side down (they should sizzle a little when they hit the pan).
  5. Bake for 20 min until browned on one side. Flip to other cut side. Bake for additional 15 minutes or until nicely browned on both side.
Really, it is the high heat and the heated pan that enables the potatoes to brown nicely. The oil and then cooking spray ensures that they don't stick. I don't measure anything and neither does Phin. So, use your judgment and also tinker with time and temperature so that the recipe works for your oven. Happy French Fry Friday!

7 comments:

30 before 30 said...

Scrolling to the end of a blog about french fries and seeing a sweaty Homer Simpson trying to run sends mixed messages...

Now I'm not sure if I want to get in shape or eat fries!

:P

N'il said...

Thank you!!! Can't wait to make some!! They were awesome.

MS said...

ok - I tried. and well, doug loved them but they didn't come close to your birthday perfection...

Clio said...

Hmmm. What was wrong with them - not crispy enough? Let me know what went wrong and we will diagnose the problem. What kind of potatoes did you use?

Anonymous said...

What kind of potatoes do you recommend? Sounds great!

Mar-Mar

Phin said...

Last couple batches were Eastern/white potatoes. (to be honest they were the 5lb sack on sale!) As for cutting, I cut them in half lengthwise, then wedge them off like trivial pursuit pegs (usually get 4 or so wedgies to a half a tater). Timing is kinda a guideline-once they're brown on one side they will release very easily-so just poke your head in and see if one releases-if not let them go another 5 min and check again.

Clio said...

Thanks, Phineas! Also, using enough oil is a must.