Thursday, April 22, 2010

Travels and Travails

Thanks to the Boston Globe for this gorgeous shot.

As you read this, I am (hopefully) en route to London. Needless to say, the volcano in Iceland has thrown some kinks into my week! One (postive) thing that has happened is that the work-related events I was supposed to attend on Saturday have been cancelled. So, yours truly will have a whole day free in London to sightsee shop for fabric.

Speaking of shopping for fabric in foreign cities, sew-istas in Toronto have it pretty darn good! Since I was in Toronto last week for work, I decided to hit their garment district. I had an excellent local guide and new sewing friend. (Thanks again, Reethi! It was so much fun shopping with you and I am very seriously considering your kind offer to feed my fabric mania with that gorgeous satin).

Wow, I didn't realize how bad my cell phone camera is!
Here we are at Downtown Fabric.


We hit a bunch of places on Queen Street W, but most notable were LA Fabrics and Downtown Fabric. LA had only the best of everything at not-unreasonable prices. They had a bevy of succulent wools and wool/cashmere blends, satins, and cottons from Liberty of London (I resisted for obvious reasons), plus a good selection of bridal trims and basics. At Downtown, Reethi scored some to-die- for Italian satin in a stunning large floral print which is destined to become a summer dress. It will be divine. Oddly enough, Downtown felt like home. The owner must be related to Kashi of Metro Textiles. He definitely knew how to sell. In fact, I am having non-buyers remorse. There was a gorgeous satin in a rose print that I was digging. I have no idea why I didn't get it and am regretting the decision.

Anyway, I am away for 1 1/2 weeks in London and then a 1 week mystery vacation that Phineas is planning. (I'll let you know when I know!) But fear not, I have a few posts planned and a few guest bloggers lined up. So there will definitely be posts while I am away. Have fun while I am gone!

1 comment:

Reethi said...

It was awesome meeting you as well, and seriously, the fabric district isn't that far from me - so let me know if you do want the fabric... Cheers!