Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Review and Final Thoughts: Christening Ensemble

This is exactly how I feel, too!

Have you ever come to the end of a project and been absolutely exhausted but totally satisfied? If you have, then you can relate to how I feel right now.

I've been living and breathing this project for the last few weeks, to the detriment of my other hobbies. However, it was well worth it. There is nothing more I could have done to make this Christening ensemble more beautiful, inside or out. Here is a review, in pictures and a few words.

Simplicity 5813

I am most proud of how the top came out. The cummerbund hides snap tape that attaches to the waist of the bottoms or to the skirt. This was one of the alterations that my sister, Poly, wanted to make so that the outfit would be appropriate for her son and also any daughters that she may have in the future.



The bonnet was a very cute extra. Not only was it a bit boyish thanks to the brim, but it allowed us to use a beautiful beaded motif that would have otherwise been scrapped.



What can I say about the booties? The fact that they are teeny tiny only adds to their charm. The booties were the only item that we made from Simplicity 2457 rather than 5813. They looked absolutely princely. Really, I'm feeling like I ought to make a grown up size version for myself. Wouldn't you feel pampered in slippers like these?

My sister primarily worked on the skirt piece and the jacket from Simplicity 5813. Although she is a beginner sewist, she did an absolutely spectacular job. Here is the skirt and jacket. I was thrilled that we were able to use the beading to such great advantage. I am hoping she will do a guest post for me on the ups and downs of making these pieces.

Front of the skirt and jacket.


Back of the skirt and jacket.

I love that we were able t use the trim from the wedding gown as the hem of the skirt and as the cuffs of the jacket. It took A LOT of hand sewing for the jacket to be completed.

Here are a few pictures of us hard at work sewing.... (note how svelte yours truly looks thanks to the strategic placement of the iron and ironing board...he he he)


It was so much fun to sew with my sister. And I am so very happy that she include me in such a beautiful and meaningful project.

5 comments:

Sheila said...

Absolutely beautiful... your nephew is such a cutie and his contagious smile has made my rainy day sunny. Both of you did an awesome job.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

What a successful project! You really made the most of your raw materials and you can both be very proud of the result.

Erin said...

Oh my goodness, that pic of your nephew melts my heart! What a cutie!

Congrats to you and your sister on a fabulous project. It is well-executed and meaningful... can't get better than that, eh?

Reethi said...

All that hand-sewing in Toronto in a hotel room really paid off - this is the cutest outfit ever!

SEWN said...

Wow, that is so gorgeous and so special. What a great gift for your sister and how awesome is it that you could work on it together? Great job!