Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Get me Outta Chitown


Work related travel is going to eat up much of the next 5 weeks. Right now I'm stuck at O'Hare Airport, waiting for some storms to clear so that I can get home. If you recall, the last time I was stuck in an airport, I was in no shape for sewing when I got home. Thankfully, the beers here seem to come in more manageable sizes.

This was just a quick stop in the Windy City; an overnight stay. However, yesterday, I was able to fit in a tiny little bit of fabric shopping. I headed to Vogue Fabrics and I have to say, there were many tempting pieces of fabric, a friendly staff and lots of space (something I am unused to as a NY shopper). In particular, the "remnant room" had some great bargains on 1-2 yard cuts of fabric. Knowing that I didn't have much room in my suitcase, I showed admirable restraint and only bought some baby blue duchess satin for the Christening romper bottom project. Although, now I am regretting not buying a beautiful piece of light blue silk that was in the remnant room. C'est la vie.

Next week, I am off to Toronto and the following week to London. My schedule for both of those trips will definitely leave room for fabric shopping. I can't wait. Oh, and next time I will bring my larger suitcase...

4 comments:

Reethi said...

Hey, I live in Toronto. Let me know if you want good places to fabric shop?

Mar-Mar said...

I wish you "Buona Strada" (good travel - literally good road in Italian).

Little C's Christening outfit looks like it is coming along beautifully! Bravo to you and your sister for cutting up her wedding gown! You both are very brave.

I made the undergown for the Abbster's christening outfit out of last minute need. She used my Christening gown, but its undergown was badly stained. As a novice, I feel very accomplished! Of course, it took me longer to figure out stiches and tension and such then to actually sew it together!

Be well. Miss you much! We just figured my maternity leave is until June. I would love to get together if we can!

Mar-Mar

Clio said...

Reethi - THANKS! I would love some tips on where to shop in Toronto!

Mar - Yes! Let's get together in May. I'll call.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Work travel seems so glamourous until you're the one doing it! Hopefully you can manage to squeeze a little fun out of it.