For the last few weeks I have been suffering from the winter blahs. And every time I try to give myself a kick in the pants to get me moving again (like my new running program), I seem to stall (like my sneakers going kaput on day 1).
However, last night, I did manage to pull myself together for long enough to make Phineas snap a few pictures of me in my pencil skirt. (Go figure, I'm wearing it with a cowl neck.)
I think I am finished, but I am not 100% certain. I may tinker some more. I had trouble getting the darts to lay flat, I think because of how thick/stiff the fabric is. So it is causing that wrinkle/pucker across the tummy, which looks worse in the picture than in real life, I think. You can see it in the side view photo, too. The darts end where it puckers out, and then it slopes in. See?
Although, now that I think about this more, I wonder if my waist being about an inch lower in the front contributes to there being extra fabric there to droop. Hmm, I need to think this over.
That said, I am pretty happy with this project for a number of reasons. I really like the fabric for one, and showcasing it with a simple pattern is exactly what I wanted to do. However, along the way I used some new tools and techniques. And this was my first project on plaid.
I already told you about using my new invisible zipper foot to install the zipper. In addition, I used my new 5mm narrow hem foot to finish the lining. It definitely took some getting used to because you have to use a very light touch and not try to make the fabric roll. The foot does it for you.
Matching up the plaid went ok, but not perfect. After I had finished the back, I learned a better technique for cutting plaid so that it will match better in the future.
Overall, I am mostly happy with the project and I'll defintiely get some wear out of this skirt. It came together easily, fits pretty well and I think is a fun addition to my wardrobe.