Monday, September 29, 2008

Belated Birthday for Phineas

With weddings behind us, I finally got back to some long dormant projects, including birthday shirts for Phineas.

Starting to look like a shirt!

I'm using Kwik Sew 3484, which seems to get universal praise for ease and style. Since I have not yet tackled collared shirts and I don't have a lot of experience with buttons, I decided to buy some inexpensive cotton that was on sale for my first attempt at this shirt. If I botch it horribly, it was no more expensive than muslin and if it comes out wonderful, well, Phineas can go ahead and wear it.

I had cut out and marked the fabric weeks ago, so this weekend I was ready to set right to work. As you can see, the shirt is in a half done state - collar, front and shoulders done, but no side seams, hems or buttons. I had a moment of duh with the collar, which looks ok anyway. But I definitly feel like next time it will go much more smoothly. Since Phineas didn't want a pocket, I decided to add trim to make it a little more interesting.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. It looks like it is making the fabric pucker around the trim. I'll have to see how it looks after I press it. I'm not really sure what to do to fix it, if it needs fixing.


2BSewing: said...

Nice looking shirt! Give the shirt a good press. Actually, press as you sew...that's what I usually do. I also use a slightly damp press cloth and a dry iron. Press the collar area, seams, and of course the trim you've added. It should remove all or most of the puckers. I find it harder to press everything when the garment is finished (e.g. sleeve areas). Just a suggestion. :)

Clio said...

I gave it a press last night before working on the side and sleeve seams and it did seem to do the trick!