Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Spuds


Potatoes. That was the starch of choice for my family when I was growing up. Sure, rice and pasta were served once a week for variety, but your daily carbs were from spuds. Mashed, boiled, baked, as fries, in stews and casseroles, or however else you could dream of serving them. I get many fewer potatoes now that I live in a Chinese-American household. So, for the Blue Plate Special this week, I am making potato gnocchi.

Gnocchi was not a part of my childhood diet, but I love them anyway. The really good ones are light and fluffy; the love-child of penne and mashed potato. MMMM...

For tonight's adventure, I am using a recipe from Lidia's Italian Table by Lidia Bastianich, that doyenne of Italian-American cuisine. Here it is:
3 large Idaho/baking potatos (about 1 3/4 lbs)
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
pinch nutmeg
1/4 c grated parmagiano-reggiano
2 c flour as needed
To prepare for tonight's gnocchi making, last night I baked the potatoes and then peeled and grated them. Tonight I will make the gnocchi dough basically using the same method as pasta making - mound up the spuds, make a well and add the wet ingredients in the middle. Add flour as you knead until the dough is the right consistency. Then shape the gnocchi and cook.

No comments: