Thursday, July 21, 2011

Next Two Projects: Part 2 or How Fashion Decisions are Made at Casa Clio

My Burda border print pants are underway. I'm really not willing to spend much time muslin-ing an elastic waist pants that are meant to have a loose, relaxed fit. But I love the fabric, which is semi-sheer. So, rather than just cutting into it blind, I'm using the cotton batiste underlining as a muslin. If I don't like the fit or it needs significant alterations, I'll scrap the project before cutting into the fashion fabric.

After these pants, my next project will be another possibly controversial garment: a jumpsuit

V1249: Mark & James (Badgley Mischka) Jumpsuit

Jumpsuits are polarizing. Before deciding on this project, I sought guidance from the Muse fashion committee. Here's the 5-way email exchange - a little slice of how important fashion decisions are made here at the Five Muses blog. 

Ladies, important question: 
This Badgley Mischka jumpsuit pattern
- have I lost my mind or might this be cute? On me? I'm thinking this would be perfect for the cruise or another dressy but relaxed occasion - worn with espadrilles and a huge necklace perhaps. NOT in white. But it's entirely possible that the whole Badgley Mischka-ness of it is clouding my judgement. Thoughts please: yea or nay?
Love, Clio 
 
And here are the responses from the Muses (unedited; emphasis theirs not mine): 
Terp:  I'm not a fan of jumpsuits but I think it would look cute on you!
Magenta:  I am uncertain.  Not helpful I understand.  I'd like to say no immediately upon reading jumpsuit - because 'they' say, if you were there for the trend the first time, sit it out the second time.  I wore many a jumpsuit in the early 90s.  Still, I can't quite bring myself to say no.  I kind of like it.  And it could go well. I think.  Maybe. I am very interested to hear what you ladies have to say to this one.
Dr K: Really. I'm unsure too... But my first impression when I saw it was - that could be really cute. I also try to do the thing 'they' say about being around the first time. But, that would also include leggings and tunics, and clearly we're all okay with that. I think a modern take is perfectly acceptable.
Poly: I like it!  And I think you would look good in it because it would show off your shoulders, neck and collar bones nicely.  Plus, the pants look like they have just the right amount of fullness.  Nice drape - not baggy or clingy.  But you'd definitely need a nice belt.  I envision a cool leather obi or other wide band belt.  And bangle bracelets!  Although I couldn't wear one (I couldn't pull it off), I think you would look great in it.  I say yes!  A great option for the cruise! 

Magenta: You know what?  I'm totally on board too!
Dr K: Yeah. I'm on board too. I think I got stuck on 'jumpsuit'. I should have just gone with my first instinct which was 'thats really cute.' we overthink sometimes!
So, although the committee is not going to be donning jumpsuits themselves any time soon, they reached a consensus and are willing to let me grab crazy by the horns and just go with it. LOL. What is it about jumpsuits?  I definitely turned my nose up at them the last time this trend came around. But now, I'm thinking that this could be fun. And it will be my first project involving boning. So, another skill to master.

I've started assembling notions and scoped out some beautiful rayon matte jersey at Mood in that bold orange shade that I just love. Then I had an awful revelation...

Gwen Stefani in No Doubt's video for "It's My Life"
It could seriously end up looking like a prison jumpsuit. Yikes. But I really love the orange. And I'm feeling inspired by the Norma Kamali parachute dress posted on the Colette Patterns blog the other day (fierce, no?). I think if you're going to wear a jumpsuit, you really have to own it. So, wish me luck with this one. Ha!

What are your thoughts on jumpsuits in general and on whether mine, in orange, will be advisable or not? Will I end up looking fierce and fabulous, or will this end up being a Lindsay Lohan Halloween costume?

9 comments:

Karin said...

I'm chuffed to hear that someone is going to make up this pattern. It's really cute, but a lot of us don't have the lifestyle to wear it. Dinner on a cruise ship sounds about perfect. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Anonymous said...

Go for it. And I think, if you accessorize it the right way, it won't look like a prison suit.

Sheila said...

You have the height, body and perfect occasion to pull it off. As for the color... mmmm correctional facility plays across my mind like a ticker tape banner. However, the right shade of orange will work... now what is the right shade of orange, anything other than Neon orange...lol

Go for it!!!

Meg said...

Fun post. Orange is hot, especially when paired with navy. Have fun!

Rebecca said...

I can't wait to see your version! I think that pattern is far too chic to end up looking like prison garb. :]

Eugenia said...

Jumpsuits are a yes from me. I'm also a yes for orange - I don't think that this particular style will look like a prison suit, it's too feminine and dressy. I think that with the right styling it will look very fabulous indeed - kind of Studio 54 goes tropical!

Erica Bunker said...

Anyone that would wear those pants definitely has enough chutzpah to rock a jumpsuit! You don't seem to be shy or lacking confidence!

Clio said...

Wow! Thanks, ladies! I'm assembling parts and will really get underway on this over the weekend.

Magenta said...

I just want you to know that I totally tried on a leopard jumpsuit at bloomingdales this weekend and would have bought it in a heartbeat if not for the weird crotch thing going on. So I'm excited for you.