Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Q: How long does it take to serge all 8 seams of a skirt and it's lining?

A: Longer than you'd think, at least if you are me.

But it was very good practice with my serger. Slow and careful was my mantra, and I think I'm finally getting the hang of chaining off the ends.



I'm really coming down the home stretch on this dress. And I think it looks great in seersucker. Honestly, this was a bigger project than I thought it would be. But that's ok. I'm enjoying the process nonetheless.  



The big tasks left are dropping in the lining and adding the invisible zipper. I've never lined a dress before, so it may be a bit of an adventure.

I hope you had a fun and productive weekend, and enjoyed some fireworks!

8 comments:

Karin said...

I love the seersucker! I am jealous that I have run out of time for summer sewing. I wish I could be following you and making myself a cute, summer seersucker dress. People say that invisible zippers are easy, but I tend to mess them up!

Faye Lewis said...

That is going to be one dynamic dress!

Clio said...

Thanks, Faye... if I ever finish!!

Kimbersew said...

Looking great!! the finishing steps always take me many times longer than I think they will- even when I've done those steps many times before. Procrastinating only makes it a little worse!

Sheila said...

Take its slow and easy because its so easy to mess up a garment serging at high-speed... ask me how I know...lol

You are doing a great job... and looking forward to your reveal.

Clio said...

@ Sheila - Oh dear! Slow and steady will be my mantra!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

It is really coming along! I can't believe you've never lined a dress--you have done so much advanced stuff. The lining will be a piece of cake.

Clio said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Yeah, I've lined pants, skirts and jackets, but this is actually only the second dress I've made. And the first one was knit, and only some of the bodice pieces were self-lined.