Tuesday, July 12, 2011

All but the hem...

How many times in life - and sewing - can you say, "Wow, that was easier than I thought"?




Not too often, but lining my dress turned out to be one of those things. Easy!

That proved to be a very very good thing since, immediately after lining the dress, I tried it on and the bust gaped horribly. I have no explanation for how this happened after all my careful fitting.So, I had to un-sew the lining (thank goodness I hadn't understitched yet!) take in a few seams, and re-sew the lining. The second time was even easier than the first.

Also, I liked the topstitching around the cups/bust area so much that I even decided that rather than understitch the lining, I would just topstitch around the neckline and arms. I think it looks really good.

So, now all that is left to do is hem, which I will do by hand during the week. I plan to wear the dress to a good friend's shower on Saturday, so final reveal - all accessorized and whatnot - then.

6 comments:

Karin said...

Could the gaping be the fabric stretching out a little? Though, odd for a woven cotton.

Can't wait to see the big reveal! The topstitching sounds like a smart touch.

Sheila said...

You did a great job on the dress and quick thinking on fixing the gapping.

Debi said...

Looks great! I can't wait to see more of it!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being done (well, almost) with this!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Curses, gaping! So glad you were able to fix it. I figured lining would be no big deal for you. Can't wait for the big reveal!

Anonymous said...

I have this pattern and hadn't thought of doing it in such a fresh cotton. It's beautiful. It's back on my list.