Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Peachy-keen

Peaches and my stash of coffee cake, in 4 containers

Last September, after a peach and apple picking adventure with my niece and nephews, I used some of the bounty to make a peach coffee cake, which was mentioned on this blog, but not done justice. The recipe comes from King Arthur Flour's Whole Grain Baking cookbook. But the results are so moist and tender that you wouldn't realize that it is whole wheat at all. (No one knew until I told.)

Happily, peaches are back in season - and it is a particularly good year for them! So, I am a happy baker. One tip - courtesy of MarMar - which has made all the difference in my baking in the last year is to measure ingredients by weight rather than volume. It is much more exact. So break out the food scale from your last diet and put it to use. P.S. - Cut into 24 servings, a slice of this luscious cake has a mere 145 calories.
Peach Coffee Cake
2 cups (8 oz) white whole wheat flour
1/2c (2 1/8 oz) all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 c (7 oz) sugar (I used less - 5 oz)
1/2 c (1 stick) butter, softened
1 egg
1 c buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 c (12 oz) peaches, diced
For the topping: 2 tbsp (1oz) softened butter, 1 tbsp flour, 1/2 c (3.5 oz) sugar, 1 tbsp cinnamon

Combine first 4 (dry) ingredients. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and beat to incorporate. Scrape bowl. Alternate adding dry ingredients and buttermilk in thirds. Stir in vanilla and peaches and scrape into greased 9x13 pan. Mix topping together in a separate bowl. Sprinkle on top of cake and bake for 30 min at 350. Cool and serve.


Enjoy for breakfast, brunch or dessert.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I made this recipe over the weekend. It was a big hit! Everyone was amazed it was mostly whole wheat and that it was so moist.
My question for you is - do you find the peaches break down more after they are cooked? I wondered if my coffee cake was too moist. I baked it for 35 minutes and pulled it out after testing it with a knife.

Thanks for the recipe! I appreciated it!

Mar-Mar

Clio said...

Good question - I found that when I used very ripe peaches it came out more moist. But when I used harder/not quite ripe peaches it was perfect. I think that when I use ripe peaches in the future, I may use a little extra flour (1-2 oz?) That said, even with very ripe peaches, it held its shape and didn't fall apart.