Tuesday, May 12, 2009

On the Menu: Sesame Noodles

For tonight's Blue Plate Special, I am reviving a forgotten recipe: Sesame Noodles. I lost the recipe in a move and always meant to find a new recipe or recreate the old one thru trial and error, but years passed and I forgot about the noodles. Then, a few months ago, Erato found a copy, which I had written down for her. Hurray! But here's the catch: the noodles were not as good as she remembered. Tastes change. So, tonight we will see if my longed-for noodles live up to my memory of them. Here is the recipe:

2/3c smooth peanut butter
1/4c water
1/2c soy sauce
2Tbsp sesame oil
2Tbsp dry sherry
4tsp rice vinegar
1/4c honey
4 cloves garlic
2tsp minced ginger
3Tbsp peanut or neutral oil (as needed)
Dump all but the peanut oil into a Cuisinart and take for a spin. Add peanut oil gradually until the sauce is smooth and, well, saucy. Toss sauce with 1lb noodles (of your preference) and whatever garnishes you would like - julienned carrot, scallions, sprouts, a handful of peanuts.... Add shredded chicken, cooked shrimp, or another protein to make it into a meal.

No comments: