Monday, May 11, 2009

Monday Brain Dump

What a weekend! Here is a short version of my goings on...

On Friday evening, I went to Michael's to buy transfer paper and tear away stabilizer for future embroidery projects. The Michael's near me never fails to disappoint. Not only couldn't I find what I wanted, despite their enormous aisle of floss and hoops, but the employee that I asked for help actually asked me, "What's embroidery?"

Then Phineas helped me pick out new running/gym shoes. Yes, it is that time of year when I feel compelled to move my workout to the great outdoors... Since I am a bit lighter (more aerodynamic, perhaps?) we'll see if I can finally make a dent in my goal of running for 30 minutes without feeling like I want to die.

Air Pegasus - maybe will give me wings?

Back at home, I finished embroidering my veggie and fruit onto the apron. No final decision on what to do about the iron mark yet.


Saturday started with a yoga class that culminated in a surprise. I did this pose:

A half handstand (feet on the wall).

It was a super-cool accomplishment; my first inversion. I haven't been able to get to yoga more than twice a week in the last many months and didn't think I would have progressed or had the upper body or core strength for the pose. But I did!

After yoga, I made a fun tee for my mom for Mother's Day with an iron-on transfer:

Her gift was green-themed.

Then I finished my Amazing fit pants, which will get it's own post.

After pre-mother's day dinner with my in-laws, I finished the day by baking my mom's favorite sour cream coffee cake. Sadly, I didn't take a picture, but here is the recipe. It is super rich and delicious - loaded with butter and sour cream.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake (So easy, so good!)
1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2c sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1c chopped pecans
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. Grease/flour a springform pan. Mix first 5 ingredients together. Mix next 3 in a seperate bowl, then stir into wet ingredients until just combined. Set aside. Mix nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Pour half of batter into pan and top with half the nut topping. Add the rest of the batter and finish off with the rest of the topping. Bake for 50-60 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool for 10 min, remove springform and then finish cooling or serve warm.

On Sunday, I relaxed over brunch with my family and then chased my nephews around the playground - swinging, sliding and showing them how I could do a handstand. A great weekend and a great day!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it! I want to make the coffee cake! I am super impressed with your yoga skills!

Miss you!
Mar-Mar