Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Spain on the Brain: Planning

So, with just 5 days until I fly off to London for work, our plans for vacationing in Spain have really come together. Although it was not initially our intention, Phineas and I ended up deciding on a whirlwind itinerary including lots of stops over a 12 day span - London, Bath, Barcelona, Granada, Seville, Madrid, and Toledo. We are even taking an overnight train to get from Barcelona to Granada in order to squeeze it all in.

The Alhambra, Granada

Here are the things I am looking forward to:

Tapas - I might as well be honest here: Phineas and I generally let our stomachs be our guide when it comes to travel. What could be more exciting and satisfying than wandering from bar to bar sampling the tapas and wine?

Art - I am in desperate need of an art-fix. Our last vacation (Asia), really only had one significant museum stop. So, I am looking forward to the vast amount of great art at the many museums and churches throughout Spain.

Rambling - I love trips where we spend most of our time walking around a new city admiring the architecture, browsing in shops and soaking up the culture at the local establishments. Phineas is very good at getting me to pause and watch life go by rather than just racing from sight to sight.

The Alhambra - This is the sight that I am most looking forward to visiting. Hopefully, I have not built it up too much.

Stunning, no? I think so.

Anyway, that is the plan. Since I have been swamped with work, Phineas has done the bulk of the work with finding hotels, coordinating transportation and researching where to eat. I am in charge of arts and culture for this excursion. I hope this will be the first of many visits to Spain!

No comments: