Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Therapeutic Sewing - A Cold Remedy!

No sooner had I said that there was a light at the end of the tunnel with work (and related travel and stress) than I came down with a cold. Blech.

But a day of convalescing at home gave me the energy and hours to spend some quality time in the Craft Lounge yesterday. And I am absolutely thrilled to tell you that my fetish top is now looking MUCH more respectable and lady-like.

I took the front bodice piece and converted it into two pieces with a princess seam instead of one piece with a dart.

Original darted bodice


I did this by looking at a different pattern in my stash that had a princess seam bodice. I used the pattern pieces as a rough guide for how the curve should look and where on the armscye the seam should fall. Then I traced off new pieces, adding in a seam allowance and eliminating the dart.


Altered princess seam bodice

I cut new front bodice pieces - the center from faux leather and the sides from ponte - and got back to sewing. I've never done this sort of pattern alteration before, and so was pleased with how easily the new pieces went together and lined up with the existing pieces.

I'm nearly done and the top is looking MUCH better. It now has the feel that I was initially going for - edgy and chic. One immediate and big improvement was not having darts ending at the bust point. Whew!


Preview of my less risque top!

I have just a little bit of hemming and finishing left. As soon as I'm done, I'll share some new and improved photos and a review.

I've always sewn to relieve stress, but this was my first attempt at using sewing as a cold remedy. It seems to have been highly effective. What about you? Do you sew to cure what ails you?

14 comments:

Clio said...

how you used pattern adjustments as cold relief is beyond me. you are seriously a bad mamma jamma.

Clio said...

Seriously, it was me and a cup of tea, just sewing sewing sewing... And I'm feeling much better today.

Clio said...

that looks much more PG 13. Very nice :)

Clio said...

First, hope you are feeling much better. Your re-adjusted top is gorgeous. Can't wait to see you style it.

Clio said...

actually, doing that helped me survive a truly nasty bout of mono two years ago. only i could only work in about 10 minute increments. :-)

Clio said...

Looking much better Mistress Clio!

Clio said...

I am suspicious that you didn't have a regular cold, but rather a not-enough-sewing-Cold. Therefore the 'spend 3 hours in the craft lounge and call me in the morning' remedy sounds about right. Regardless, I'm glad you're feeling better!! (and ready for a photo shoot?)

Clio said...

Hurray! This looks much more ... normal. Hope you didn't leave nose blessings all over your cutting table.

Clio said...

Eeeewwwww!!! No, I did not. LOL

Clio said...

I think I was fueled by a constant tea induced caffeine buzz...

Clio said...

I won't lie - that's entirely plausible. It's been a busy few months with not enough sewing. I still have to hem (and am on my last spring business trip). So, photos soon.

Clio said...

Ooh! Looking way more wearable in public, for sure! hehe - I absolutely love the idea of sewing as a cold remedy... we're on our way into winter here so maybe I can test it out for you soon? Any excuse to sew will do. But I wonder if it's got something to do with the ability to enjoyably concentrate hard on something? I often forget to eat and hydrate when sewing... something that NEVER happened before sewing came into my life. Hmmm... how about sewing as a weight loss activity?? If only I could find a way to incorporate some resistance training activities in there. Maybe a really heavy iron?

Clio said...

For your sake, I hope you don't have to put it to the test! I forget to eat/hydrate too...

Clio said...

I find doing about anything on cold meds a risky business at best. I've really messed up work projects as well as knitting and sewing projects so I just take it easy and read or snooze in front of the TV.