Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Oh, Look! Sleeves.


Look! Look! The sleeves are in! And they are both set in as perfectly as I've ever set in a sleeve!  No accidental pleats or unintentional gathers. Woot!

Since a few people mentioned that they had never heard of leather tape before, I thought I'd provide a bit more info.  I bought on line at Wawak (click here). It comes in a 60 yard roll in two different widths - 1/2" and 1/4". Here's the description from the website:
High performance high tack double sided seam tape for leather and vinyl hemming. Allows for superior bonding and conformability to irregular as well as flat surfaces such as plastics, metal profile extrusions, decorative trim, and is also used as a universal all purpose double coated tape.
That's it. It's just really sticky double sided tape that you can use to glue down seam allowances. Peel from the roll, stick the sticky side down, peel off the backing on the other side and smoosh down the seam.


Next step: shell + lining = finished jacket.

7 comments:

T. Sedai said...

Ooooh! Looking snazzy.

K-Line said...

That is SERIOUSLY impressive. This jacket could retail for $1000.00 with this workmanship! (Well, of course, you' put in 5K worth of your time, but you know what I mean).

Karin said...

Well done you! The sleeves look *perfect*

Rachel said...

I just found your blog. I LOVE that jacket!!! Is that from Burda Magazine? If it is, I am planning to make it out of leather too.


Rachel
http://shoesandsewing.blogspot.com

Catherine Daze said...

You know, I'd never thought about how difficult it must be to set sleeves in leather. Well done! It's looking really good.

Clio said...

It is BurdaStyle Mag - 07/2010 -118

Evie said...

Hurrah for PERFECT sleeves. You must be thrilled. This is amazing!