Wednesday, October 3, 2012

It's My Birthday! Pass the Cake!

Today I am 37 years old!!! Yay, birthday!!


Lunch = mini cupcakes which are disappearing rapidly


My day is off to a great start. There's already been calls and texts from many of the important people in my life. Phin is taking me out for dinner and drinks. Even the rain this morning couldn't dampen my mood - rain is just sunshine in liquid form as far as I'm concerned today.


I'm wearing my happy dress today!

Last weekend, I was reflecting on the last year of my life. Thirty six had ups and downs. I ran my first half marathon (yay!) and learned to knit (woo hoo!). But I also suffered my first age related medical issue - my stupid herniated disc (boo!).

About two months ago, I was really feeling frustrated and defeated. Pain will do that. My sewing mojo was nowhere to be found, I was just starting to take the first painful steps back to running and yoga, and I was feeling distracted and anxious in general, like everything in my life was on hold. Then I decided to cut myself some slack and give myself the space to heal. There are seasons for everything.

But now it's Autumn. My favorite month of the year - October! - is here again, and I'm feeling that same burst of creativity and positivity that I do each year. I'm well on the road to recovery, despite some set backs. My leather jacket is nearly done, I've got a list of baking projects to work through, and my running strength and stamina are returning one mile at a time. I'm rebuilding - a little stronger, a little wiser, a little more patient with myself. Today I feel resilient - a quality that I hope will follow me through whatever changes and challenges life has in store.


Because I like to celebrate all October long, I've decided that my birthday month project will be for the times when I want to take things a bit slower and pamper myself. So, I'm planning on making a kimono robe. That way, when I do find myself needing to take time for healing or lounging or just giving myself a break from the self-imposed rigors of my hobbies, I'll be able to wrap up in something beautiful and luxurious that I've made for myself.


Burdastyle 07/2011-124 - Kimono robe


 I may also get around to sewing up my vintage slip pattern, too. (Oh! And I'm participating in K-Line's Virtual Lingerie Shop Along. 'Cause, I have a weakness for lingerie... and at my age a girl needs some support... and it is my birthday after all... more on this on Friday.) 

Won't I be luxurious as I convalesce?

Most of all, I'm looking forward to 37. I think it will be a fun and exciting year for me. Thanks for following my journey!


All gone!

21 comments:

Angela said...

Happy Earthday! Make sure you have champagne with that cake.

Carolyn Norman said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! And 37 is a good year!!!

Evie said...

Happy birthday. I hope you've had a lovely day.

Allison said...

Happy Birthday! I am currently struggling through a back injury (possibly a herniated disk, not really sure yet). Good to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Karin said...

Happy Birthday! Back pain is horrible. I wish you better ASAP! I'm looking forward to seeing you make beautiful kimono. Channel 6 blog made this pattern, and it was lovely!

K-Line said...

Rain is sunshine in liquid form. Genius! I wish I could get with that philosophy. And HAPPY BDAY! I am excited to hear about your "self-purchased" pressies... :-)

Peter said...

Happy birthday! Looking forward to the kimono project.

Faye Lewis said...

Happy, Happy birthday Clio. Hope you had a fab day!!!

T. Sedai said...

Happy Birthday! Those cupcakes looked really yummy...


And, I totally hear you on the back pain - mine has been getting worse this past year, and it is really disheartening to work really hard on training and see it all go away when you have to take a rest for the back. But, it sounds like things are looking up, and I wish you much health and happiness in the coming year!


Also, your kimono robe and slip look totally luxurious! Can't wait to see what your plans are for that.

Patti said...

Happy Birthday! My birthday is today also, but I am officially old today (55). Weird thing is that I know of two other bloggers whose birthday is today. Hope it was a great day.

Catherine Daze said...

Happy birthday! Hope you had a great day.

Clio said...

Chanel no 6 definitely inspired me with her beautiful kimono!

Clio said...

Oh! Sending you healing thoughts! It heals - a bit slower than I'd like, but I guess it's a lesson in patience.

Clio said...

Thanks, everyone! It was a great day!

Clio said...

Glad to know I'm in good company! Happy Bday to you too!

Kimbersew said...

Happy happy birthday! thanks for sharing the journey. Your blog is one of my faves. Here's to a beautiful and fulfilling year!

mdealmeida said...

Happy Happy birthday! Fabulous lunch idea!!! :) :) You look fabulous - that dress is really amazing. Here's to a great year ahead!

Reethi Jagannathan said...

Happy birthday!

Elizabeth said...

Happy birthday!!!! The dress looks amazing on you!

Lisette said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you had a great day looking beautiful in your happy dress!

Meg the Grand said...

Happy Birthday!! I hope you had a marvelous day and your dress is just fantastic!