Monday, October 29, 2012

Frankenstorm Preparedness

Washington Post image


Phin and I are hunkered down and watching storm coverage. At times like this, I'm glad we live on a hill.

Yesterday, while Phin was checking that the flashlights had batteries and the lawn furniture was put away, I was moving my sewing machines away from the windows and making sure that the lids of the sweater boxes that house my fabric stash were securely fastened. If a window in the Craft Lounge (which doubles as a guest bedroom) breaks, I'm counting on the bed to act as a giant sponge, since it's between my sewing machines and the windows.

Is it odd that I would rather replace a queen size bed than any of my sewing stuff? Or is it a sign that, as a sewista, I have my priorities straight? 

Anyway, I hope that if you are also in the Northeast that you are high and dry and have a good many projects to keep you busy while we wait out the weather! I'll be knitting away and tracing my kimono pattern.

7 comments:

Sheila said...

Stay safe. I have yet to move my sewing machines that sit in front of a window... I still have some sewing to do...lol

T. Sedai said...

Good luck! I hope the storm passes without any major damages or problems for you and everyone else who is going through it. And... yeah, priorities. Sewing stuff is totally up there.

Vicky Sculley said...

I live in Australia and have been throug a hurricane, stay safe and well. Hope a miracle occurs and the weather diminishes in threat. If not and it is as they say the power will most likely go out so be prepared for potentially days of this,

Thinking of you all affected by this

Ginger said...

Hope you guys are weathering the storm well! So far everything is OK out here in Queens, although there are at least three trees or big branches down on our block so far! Eek!

Elle C said...

Thanks for posting and letting all of us know what you are doing during the storm. Good to know you live on a hill. Take care, stay safe, and consider yourself hugged. ♥

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Hope you made it through ok! I can't imagine trying to replace my sewing stuff. It has been years of binge-buying *ahem* careful curating to amass. Can't wait to see the leather jacket!

Meg the Grand said...

I hope you both are okay! I would definitely save my sewing items over anything else in the apartment any day. It would break my heart to lose any of it!