Thursday, October 18, 2012

BWTF!! Or Are We Now Yelling BS at Burda?

Warning: This morning I had to get up at what one of my friends dubbed "the ass crack of dawn". It is a darker and bleeker hour than the crack of dawn, where even the bright side is unlit.  You are forewarned.

Somehow yelling "BS!" when Burda Style messes up isn't as satisfying as yelling "BWTF!?!?" back when it was Burda World of Fashion.

Did anyone else receive this helpful email from the distributor of Burda Style in the US early this week?


We recently mailed the Burda Classics Fall/Winter 2012 issue to you. In the meantime the publishers informed us that sizes for some models are shown incorrectly in the magazine. Effected Models and correct sizes are:
  • Page 6, Modell 0005 A Burda sizes 34-48
  • Page 8, Modell 0007 B Burda sizes 36-50
  • Page 10, Modell 0004 A Burda sizes 36-50
  • Page 13, Modell 0006 A Burda sizes 34-44
  • Page 30, Modell 0004 B, Burda sizes 36-50
  • Page 31, Modell 0011 B, Burda sizes 34-44
  • Page 33, Modell 0014, Burda sizes 34 - 46
  • Page 33 + 35, Modell 0016, Burda sizes 34-46
  • Page 35, Modell 0015, Burda sizes 34-46
The Sewing Instructions are correct. We hope this helps.


This doesn't actually affect what is in the issue; they just misstated the pattern sizing.  I probably wouldn't complain, except that I found the whole Classics issue a bit disappointing to begin with. Both FehrTrade and Diary of A Sewing Fanatic reviewed the issue with very different points of view. My cranky complaint is there are only about 12 unique patterns in this slim issue and the rest of the "patterns" are just minor variations, like different hem and sleeve lengths, or different pocket options.

I wasn't quite over the $10 sting of the Burda Classic issue when I received another email, this time about Burda Style Creative.



 
This special issue will be published twice a year (first in Nov) and cost $20 for the 2 or $13 for just November from the US distributor. On the cover it says "From interior design to wrapping, from knitting to styling, from cool to comfy. Seasonal and timeless ideas so you can delight in feeling at home." This issue seems to be Christmas themed (ie: "create advent calendars", Christmas wreaths and decorations, seasonal needle crafts...).

I think I am going to pass on it.  I'm just not into crafts or home dec. But let me know if you get this issue since I am curious.

I think the next Burda Special issue ought to be one of my own invention: Burda Costume Disasters. It could come out for Halloween and would compile Burda costumes from over the years. AND there would be a whole section in it called Burda Edible.

"This children’s Tomato Costume is so dramatic and adorable. It will for sure have them enjoying vegetables." - BurdaStyle.com

You know you'd want in on the Burda Broccoli Sew Along. And just in case you decide not to buy the whole fictitious costume issue, you can download the broccoli pattern from Burdastyle.com, the US Burda site. (Seriously)  And it's free! Creative sewists could even turn the broccoli pattern into a bunch of asparagus with a simple modification to the headgear. 

OK, I just snorted water out my nose from making myself laugh about the broccoli. Overtired rant over. Back to our normally scheduled programming...

20 comments:

annie said...

Sounds like that is a bit earlier than o-dark-thirty. Burda has hit my s$%t list. They have some great designs but like everyone else I can't deal w/ their directions.

AllisonC said...

Was that the same issue that has the raspberry costume, just looking at that never fails to cheer me up!

Clio said...

Yes! It is the raspberry issue. The broccoli just kills me every time I think of it! It's so silly!

Clio said...

Lol- yeah it's slightly earlier.... Not much. :-)

T. Sedai said...

Ah, yes, the ass crack of dawn and I are well acquainted. Skating people are a bit on the crazy side...


Anyway, yeah, I still think BWTF when I see crazy things from them. I actually didn't think the classics issue was too bad... I was disappointed with the limited number of patterns, but I thought the patterns they did include were nice. Not spectacular, but nice. Actually I see some frankenpatterning in the future for that long skirt... Though I think it is a bit ridiculous that they screwed up the printed sizing for almost every pattern in the issue...


Anyway, I didn't get any notification about this craft issue, but I did see it advertised on the German website. I usually think of their craft ideas at the filler section I ignore in the magazine, so I have no interest in buying a magazine dedicated to Burda crafts or home dec.


Also, the Burda costumes used to be cool (like back in 2005-2007). They had costumes that looked like the Matrix and Lord of the Rings and other pretty stuff. It has been a total downhill from there.

T. Sedai said...

Oh yeah, and I am currently really annoyed with the Russian website - they have the page for the new issue posted, but they only have 2 pictures, and one of them is from LAST November, and the other is for this issue, but the garment picture is for a top and the description is for the jacket. It has been like this for 3 days! Get with it people and FIX the dang thing! I. WANT. TO. SEE. THE. PREVIEW!

Anonymous said...

I haven`t seen this new issue of Burda but clearly they need to check things a bit better. However I think 12 patterns for $10.00 is extremely reasonable - costs etc are not cheap .

Lisette said...

I'm glad I did not have a sip of coffee in my mouth when reading about the broccoli...it would have been ugly.

Victoria Callas said...

I've never participated in any sew along but I would definitely join the Broccoli one! Just for an endless laughter to read about all the process. "Than we shall boil - oopss - cut this broccoli part...".


Thanks for a good laugh!

Clio said...

Yes! It is that one! That raspberry looks so darn happy that it's hard not to smile even though the costumes are cuckoo. The broccoli kills me.

Clio said...

Yeah, it's around that time of day. Totally. The directions generally steer me in the wrong direction!

Clio said...

Did they really??? I only know the crazy/sad ones!

Clio said...

My master plan would then be for a broccoli meet up in Times Sq or some other crowded place. he he he

Evie said...

Noooooooo....don't give them any ideas....I can see Burda thinking this is a splendid idea and running the issue! Courgette costume anyone? They have lost their minds! I found the Classics issue hugely lazy. Another reason I'm glad that Silvia at bombardone (dot) com (forward slash) sewingprincess (hope you don't mind the link) is raising a petition. Maybe they'll get the hint!

Clio said...

I have signed the petition! Thanks for making me aware of this new-to-me blogger!

Evie said...

Brilliant. And you're very welcome!

Sofie Mitropoulos said...

I showed my son that Burda salad stuff and asked him if he would wear that costume... he's 8 .... NO WAY! what are they thinking! Really would anyone wear that...

Clio said...

Look at the poor tomato - clenched fists, no smile... No way would this make any child want to eat veggies let alone BE one!

theperfectnose said...

The children's tomato costume would be great for pushing over the little veggies and watching them roll/ bounce down a slope (in my mind everything's a cartoon). On an aside, yes I too received that email. And promptly forgot about it. XD

Clio said...

Exactly! Poor squashed tomato. LOL