Monday, October 15, 2012

Finished: Somewhat Victorious Victory Socks

I have very mixed feelings about my V for Victory socks, which I started back in August from a pattern in Toe Up Socks For Every Body.




On the one hand, they are by far the best socks I've knit, in terms of my knitting skills and the end result. The lace pattern is really beautiful, I think. Plus I didn't make any mistakes while knitting, and the cashmere yarn is wonderfully soft and was easy to work with.

I enjoyed knitting from the toe up instead of from the cuff down, as I had done in the past. The method seemed to work out very well for me. The toe looks pretty great as far as I am concerned, and there was no kitchener stitch to do at the end. I always make mistakes with the kitchener stitch. 
 
Pretty "V" pattern and easy to make toe

Additionally, I liked making a banded heel instead of a short row heel. It was easy to knit and came together smoothly and without any holes, as happens with short rows.  Once I mastered the pattern, the second sock came together quickly and easily.


Best heel yet!
 
So, at this point, you are probably wondering why this wonderful pair of oh-so-soft cashmere socks - my best knit socks to date - are only somewhat victorious.

Ta Da!

Well, that's because this isn't me modeling them.

In the end, they didn't fit thru the ankle. So, I gave them to my skinny-ankled mom. Of course, I knew they didn't fit after the first sock was finished. Given the lace pattern, there really wasn't a way to make the ankle bigger without everything looking wonky. So, because I was enjoying the knitting, I decided to persist and that Mom Muse deserved some luxurious socks.

In truth, she seemed pretty tickled with them, which makes me happy. But there is a lesson for me when it comes to socks. Most sock patterns are sized for the width of the foot, and not for the width of the ankle. These socks fit me in the foot, but I'll have to consider whether a pattern can be made larger at the ankle before I start a toe up sock again.

10 comments:

Sheila said...

Pretty socks and the love lace detail.

Evie said...

What a pity these don't fit you as they are very beautiful. Lucky Mom!

K-Line said...

I've not yet made socks (just can't get into them). Mind you, I have the skinniest ankles on the planet, so maybe these will work for me! Mums do get lucky sometimes...

Karin said...

They look great and I am sure your mom is delighted! I wish I could knit socks. They look pretty tricky.

Susan said...

You could try going up a needle size or two at the ankle to make them bigger. Otherwise, on a patterned sock like this, you're pretty much out of luck unless you wanted to do a bunch of increases right after the heel (preferably on the back over the heel part so it isn't very visible), enough to add another repeat of the lace pattern. Either of these may or may not work depending on how much room you need to add to make them fit.

Clio said...

Susan! That's an excellent idea that I hadn't considered! Yeah, there definitely wasn't a good way to add a few stitches, and I don't think I need a whole additional repeat. Thanks for the suggestion!

Susan said...

Yeah, your repeat on these looks really big. However, on a different pattern that may be more of an option.


They really are pretty. Your mom got very lucky.

Clio said...

Yeah - more than 15 stitches!

mdealmeida said...

I am not a knitter, but a good friend of mine turns out lovely socks. The kind of socks that make me wish I could knit socks. I love your lacy orange socks, and I'm sorry that they didn't fit.

Ginger said...

Oh, these are gorgeous! Lucky mom! I hope you find a way to increase the size because you really need a pair of these!