Monday, April 11, 2011

Over the Top #1

Finally! I finished my first Over the Top Challenge top on Saturday. This top was incredibly easy to sew. I will definitely be making it again. There are enough variations - different necks, sleeve treatments and different lengths - to make a number of unique looking tops.


New Look 6915

This top is just so loose and flowey, that fitting is a breeze. I decided that it was a bit large in the size 14 that I sewed, so I scaled the side seams back to about a size 12, which is where I will start next time.

I think the most challenging part for me was using my narrow hem foot. Basically this foot rolls and stitches the fabric into a 1/4" hem. You only have to press the first inch or so to get it going. However, using this foot takes some practice and my hem is probably a bit wavy from where I didn't quite feed the fabric in evenly.  On such a drapey top, I don't think it's noticeable. And it was really good practice using this foot. 

I've also made a lot of progress on the Burda top that is my second piece for this black and white mini collection. I should be done before the challenge ends on Friday. Stay tuned!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh this is gorgeous. Love the fabric. Love the style. Love the black trim. Can't wait to see it on you.

gwensews said...

Great fabric! You have a really nice, wearabel top.

Clio said...

Thanks so much! I plan to do a photo shoot with me in the tops at the end of the challenge.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Looks perfect as we head into warm weather! You are brave. I would never attempt the rolled hem foot on knits. I only try it on crisp lightweight cottons.

Clio said...

Oh! This is NOT a knit - that would be insanity. It is allegedly silk, although I think polyester satin is probably closer to the mark...

HeathersSphere said...

Very pretty top and it especially looks lovely on you!