Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Going Over the Top

Some people have finished tops already, which is totally inspiring, even though all I have is a pile of parts at this point.

Burda top. Cut and darts pinned.

I began my Over the Top tops on Friday by cutting the New Look pattern and tracing the Burda one. Honestly, I would sew more Burda if I didn't have to trace and then add seam allowances to the patterns. I'm convinced that there's a ring of hell where this is the eternal punishment. However, the up side is that this gave me an opportunity to increase some of the seam allowances to 1" instead of 5/8".  I'm hoping that this gives me some wiggle room for getting a really good fit. I also added 2 inches of length to the pattern at the waist since I heard that this top is a bit short and I'm already a "tall" in Burda.

On Sunday, I cut and marked fabric and began pinning. And last night, since I was taking a day off from running, I got down to work on the New Look top. I had cut a size 14, graded out to an 18 at the hips. But after basting the side and trying it on, I've decided that I probably could have just gone with a size 14 or maybe even a 12. This pattern has LOTS of ease. But it looks good that way. So I will be taking it in a bit.

New Look - Neck done and sides basted.
I opted to use some black satin from my stash for the neck band and facing and the tie belt. I thought it would be a nice contrast to the busy pattern. So, at this point, all I really have to do is hem the sleeves and bottom, and make the belt. Since I plan to use my rolled hem foot for the hems, this should come along quickly and then I'll be done with a top, too!


Karin said...

Sounds like you have the hard part done! I like the satin neckline on your new look top. It's a nice touch that makes the top just a little bit nicer without going too far.

Clio said...

Thanks! I thought that to do it in the same fabric would be a lot of work for nothing. Whereas, the black stands out.