Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday Morning Mini Project Reveal

It was a very exciting weekend in the Craft Lounge.  Did you hear me?  I said "in the Craft Lounge."

My sewing space is finally mine again after a two month extended family visit (renovations to their home - long story). Anyway, I am so very happy to be back in a dedicated sewing space. Don't get me wrong, it was nice to have a busy house, complete with another girl (my sis in law) for fashion opinions and a 3 year old assistant baker. But sewing at the dining room table and having to pack/unpack everything each session is a PITA!

Once things were mostly back in order in the Craft Lounge, I immediately needed a project. So, I made the easiest infinity scarf ever from a purple and green wool remnant that I bought at Mood LA last winter.

Today's outfit: I love green and purple together.

It was immensely cathartic. Sigh. I had to wear it today.

There are still a few random tools and notions that have gone missing during the Craft Lounge relocation, like a measuring tape that I was using just the other day. But on the upside, somehow 2 yards of hair canvas that went missing two years ago - at another time when family visitors were inhabiting the Craft Lounge - magically reappeared. I know it's the same hair canvas because the dated receipt was still in the bag.


Found hair canvas and muslin

Don't mistake me; I did not find the hair canvas as I tidied and organized. When I went into the Craft Lounge, there it was sitting out in the open on a shelf where it had not been before. The only explanation is magic. How bonkers is that?

Anyway, I also finished my DK ridonku-dress, which I plan to wear on a date with Phin this week. Post to follow. 

So, my question of the day for you is: when you finish sewing (or knitting) something do you wear it right away? Or do you wait until the right moment or occasion? I'm usually so giddy that I can't think of wearing anything else until it's been worn. So, I'll create an occasion if none exists or I'll just wear it for no occasion whatsoever. What about you?

27 comments:

K-Line said...

I've been known to do both. Sometimes I cannot wait. But, for example, I made that jersey wool Tiramisu 2 weeks ago and I haven't worn it.

Maggie Smith said...

Both here too. Most of the time I am sewing for an occasion (or those created to make said garment justifiable!) so I have to wait for it. But when I finished my Ginger, a much more everyday piece, I wore it that day :)

Karin said...

Right away! I have to take it for a test spin and make sure that it fits and doesn't need any last minute tweeking before I can feel like the project is over. Obviously, formal wear is an exception.

LinB said...

Depends on how "fancy" is the item I'm making. I have a few jackets, for example, in luxe materials, for which I await an occasion to justify wearing them. Or until I outlive my fear of them -- are they "too much?" Am I in danger of appearing as mutton-dressed-as-lamb? Most stuff, though, I fling on and trounce out the door, even before I've finished attaching proper fasteners. After all, a belt or sash will keep the thing from falling off my body, and there are whole cultures who ONLY use pins to fasten their garments, right?

Clio said...

Same! Although, for formal wear, I'm usually sewing right up until the deadline anyway...

Clio said...

Huh. See, if it was a dress for work, I'd wear it the very next day. Are you not as excited for the Tiramisu?

Clio said...

Ha! You are even more enthusiastic than me! At least I wait until it has fastenings! LOL

HouseOFpinheiro said...

yeahh cute start project. I normally wait for an occasion that it would work... i cannot wear a summer dress just now in this terrible UK weather

Lin3arossa said...

It depends on hor the sewing process went. If it's been difficult I need to get the garment out of sight for a while. Otherwise, I can wear it right away...

Kathleen Cooper said...

Normally I am still something as my husband is warming up the car to leave.

Clio said...

LOL - yup!

Clio said...

Oooo, I hadn't considered giving anything the cold shoulder if it fights back when you try to sew it. Some sewing projects are more traumatic than others. LOL

Clio said...

See, you are so good and plan ahead! I never sew for the next season (at least not on purpose. I guess I need that "wear it now" instant gratification.

marysews said...

I'm glad you got your creative space back. I usually blame DH!

T. Sedai said...

Usually I want to wear something right away. Not always (fancy party dresses and raincoats come to mind as being exceptions) but if the project is meant to be a wardrobe staple then I tend to wear it right away to test it out.

Clio said...

Ha - Yeah, if there hadn't been visiting family during the disappearance/reappearance he would have been a likely candidate.

K-Line said...

I do like the pattern. The weather's just not great for it right now. And I'm not totally blown away by it, as I thought I would be before I made it. I sense I'll enjoy it more once the spring hits.

poppykettle said...

Woop! Yay for returned sewing space! That emerald green and purple combined are amazing on you. Love the bright factor!

Catherine Daze said...

I usually want to wear something new right away. If it don't then I'll probably never wear it.

The green and purple rocks on you!

Clio said...

There is a really good value in testing it out, isn't there? I sometimes decide a garment needs to be a bit longer/shorter, looser/tighter, etc after it's initial wearing. Better do it before changing the thread in the SM, right?

Clio said...

See, I guess I'm usually still hemming while getting ready for the special occasion. LOL

Tia Dia said...

I usually wait until an appropriate occasion, since my day-to-day schedule ranges from PJs at home for the day to an evening at the opera and everything in between! And how amazingly lovely to have your very own sewing space back!

sheila said...

Most times, will wear it immediately.... excited that its completed and thinking about my next project.

Clio said...

Thanks! Yeah, I like to get it into rotation at once.

Clio said...

LOL - It sounds like you have an occasion for every outfit!

Clio said...

Thanks!

Mimi Jackson said...

I often sew very far in advance, because I then have to accessorize/style before it becomes a real piece of my wardrobe!