Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Solution to the Giraffe Problem is a Bunny!

On Friday morning, our new niece arrived in the world, and everyone is doing great.

I've resigned myself to the truth that my the cute knit giraffe will be a "big sister gift"  for our three year old niece. So, my solution to this giraffe dilemma is a bunny!


Giraffe and Bunny

I know. You're thinking that solving the problem of having to give away one cute stuffie to the not-intended recipient by knitting another cute stuffie that will be just as hard to give away is madness. You would be correct. But I can't help it; nieces and nephews seem to have an occult power over me. It seemed like a good solution as I cast on. Oh, and I also knit a baby blanket.

Anyway, this is the floppy bunny from Itty-Bitty Toys by Susan B Anderson. After the giraffe, the bunny was quick and easy to knit up.



Here he/she is on the matching baby blanket that I knit during Sandy.  I love the too big feet, paws and ears. I think they give the bunny a baby-like look. I made a few style changes like making the ears perky instead of floppy and placing the arms and legs a little differently than the pattern. I think this gives the bunny a sillier look that I like.


Isn't he/she sweet?


Now that I've learned to knit pompoms, I'm putting them on everything.


I love the pompom tail

A few notes on the blanket.  It's a free Bernat pattern called the Wave Stitch Blanket. I knit it up in Cascade 128 Superwash Chunky yarn. It is super soft, machine washable and the pattern knit up quickly and easily. Overall, this was the perfect bang for the buck project for a gift.

And, giving credit where credit is due, Phin gave me the best Christmas gift for blocking knit projects.

Play room/nursery school floor mats

They link together in all different configurations, are waterproof and I can pin to them. They are also easy to stow away when not in use. Oh, and they were MUCH cheaper and larger than blocking mats. This blanket is 37" x 45".

Baby blanket being blocked.

Anyway, my three knit gifts have been wrapped so that I can't see them or have second thoughts about giving them away.  Phin is (reluctantly) dropping them at their new home today. I've promised to knit him a hippo or cow as compensation, although I have a feeling it may end up being both in the end.


SO hard to give these cuties away!
It seems like there is a mini baby boom happening among my friends and family. So, there are sure to be more baby items to follow. 

I hope you all had a crafty weekend, too! 

15 comments:

K-Line said...

You've got the freakin' kid-market cornered! Great stuff.

Maggie Smith said...

They are both adorable, so I can understand the trouble with letting them go! And I love using those mats for blocking, that is genius!

puu said...

ooh, i love it, and congratulations on the new niece!

T. Sedai said...

The bunny is so cute!

Peter said...

I love that bunny! Can't wait to see the hippo and cow!

Rosie said...

Aww the bunny is just adorable as is the blanket!

Clio said...

Thanks! The mats worked out really well - I highly recommend them if you are a knitter.

Clio said...

I gave Phin a choice and it will be hippo first, cow later...

Kimbersew said...

Do you remember that kids' book where the kingdom had a mouse problem so they brought in cats, then a cat problem so they brought in dogs?... in the end they have an elephant problem so they bring back mice. I love your problem!
(Say 'problem' over and over again and it gets weird)

Tia Dia said...

Adorable! I just love how the giraffe seems so smitten with the bunny!

Clio said...

Um, did you somehow psychically know that I am just finishing not one but two cute little elephants?? LOL. I remember that book well!!

Clio said...

Me too! (Is it obvious that I spent Sunday morning posing and playing with them?)

oonaballoona said...

i remember that book! how are you going to give the elephants away??? i don't understand how any of them are leaving..

Clio said...

The elephants are for me! ;-)

Ginger said...

Ahhh! These are so cute!!!!!