Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pattern Review Weekend!!

Well, PR Weekend arrives in my hometown this week! (YAAAYYYY!)

(This is a Manhattan Mini Storage Ad)

Now for three really important questions:

First, what should I wear?? 
I'm kind of freaking out about this. In fact, on Friday, I found myself at MetroTextiles, pawing thru fabrics and mentally combing thru my pattern stash. So, I may have something new to wear.


McCalls 6556 Fashion Star


Aside from that, I'm thinking that my flowered pants might be fun for Friday fabric shopping or Saturday. I'd also love to work in my color block dress. Also do people get dressed up for dinner on Saturday? If so, how much - ie: color block dress or orange jumpsuit?


Next: There is a pattern swap on Saturday. I've never participated in one. Do you have any tips on pattern swap etiquette?  I've got a bunch of patterns to swap (honestly, I'd be happy to just give them away - they are great patterns but not in my size). 



Last (and this is the tough one): Purple Hair: yea or nay?
We haven't ever talked about this on my blog, but I have to come clean: the purple hair seen in my profile picture sees a lot of action when Phin and I are out on the town. I always feel fun and fabulous and the world always seems like a better place seen thru purple bangs. But I'm careful about where I wear purple hair - ie: Las Vegas, trendy lounge, cabaret show = yes. Work, other people's events (weddings, showers), and anywhere that I want to be taken seriously = no. I just don't know if this is the audience for it. So, should I show up at some point in the weekend in purple locks? Will that confuse people? Or make them think I'm crazy? (that's not necessarily a deal-breaker). Just think about how you would react to someone with purple hair. Would you think "she must be interesting" and come over and chat with me or would you think "how strange" and keep your distance. Lemme know.


This outfit gets worn a lot and not just on Halloween.

16 comments:

T. Sedai said...

I have never been to a PR weekend, so I can't help you much on the etiquette or dress code... But I say you should wear the purple hair at least one of the days! One of the people I met in grad school showed up the first day with bright blue hair (dyed, so it was more permanent) and we all called her Blue Haired **** (where **** = her real name), even after she went pink and eventually brunette (yeah, grad school tends to suck the life out of people, and their hair). She was crazy and fun and everyone wanted to talk to her, so I say go with the purple hair, for sure. Not to mention a lot of people in the blog world would probably have instant recognition, so that could be useful too...

Karin said...

Big thumbs up on the purple hair! It's actually really flattering on you. Wouldn't mind some myself!

Reethi said...

I've only been to one PR weekend before, it was great, everyone was super friendly and nice!

I'm coming to New York for PR - yay! so I'll run into you, and will definitely come over and talk, purple hair or not. (I'd do the purple hair, so fun!)

And yeah, I hear you on the pressure to wear something awesome! No new sewing for me though - no time, alas!

Andrea said...

I'll be there and can't wait to see you again. This is my 3rd PR weekend. You can be as dressy as you want or not. Some people go all out and some don't. Some people treat it as a fashion show and some don't. By the way I finally made up a shirt for my husband with the pattern you gave me and we both love it. Thank you so much.

Andrea said...

The purple hair is cute and I want to see the jumpsuit.

Sickofitcindy said...

I'll be there this weekend and love the purple hair!

Clio said...

Reethi, Andrea and Cindy - Looking forward to seeing you all!

Anonymous said...

Jealous much! I'd say go with the purple hair!

Anonymous said...

Jealous much! I'd say go with the purple hair!

M-C said...

Orange jumpsuit AND purple hair. May as well give them something to look at :-).

ElleC said...

I feel for you about the pressure to look great for the weekend. Wear what you feel fabulous in. I think anyone with brightly colored hair is brave and awesome and would mostly likely be the first person I would want to meet. Wear the purple hair.

Phyllis said...

Go with the purple hair definitely. PR Weekend always includes people who have never been to NYC and they could use some excitement!

Clio said...

@ Phyllis - LOL - So what you're saying is that my purple hair could be part of some people's "real NYC" experience? Ha! I'm down with that!

Gabrielle said...

Yes yes to purple hair !

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I'm sad I won't get to make it this year. Work. Boo.

I would be into the purple hair, though.

Bonnie O. said...

Your purple hair was a success!