Monday, April 30, 2012

Jacket Progress

OK, a bit of a confession: I just couldn't leave the jacket muslin alone. Each night last week, I inexplicably found myself too tired or unmotivated to work on the final jacket pattern. So on Saturday morning, I tried it on one last time and immediately saw what to do to fix the creasing and pulling at the back armscye.

Sorry - Phin was unavailable to take pics on me.

I made a 1/4 inch tuck across the back where the excess fabric was, and it made all the difference. Stepping away from it for a week helped me see it more clearly and solve the problem.  

So, now that I was truly happy with the fit, I was ready to go. I transferred all the changes back to the pattern and cut new final pattern pieces out of oaktag. They should be sturdy enough to come leather shopping with me.

 During the week, I hope to have enough time in the evening to sew up the lining. If the final changes I made cause any problems (I don't think they will), the lining should show it. Stay tuned!


T. Sedai said...

Exciting! Glad you were able to resolve the fit problems. Time away from a project often adds a bit of clarity, and it looks like delaying the start of your project was actually very beneficial!

Karin said...

That's great to get the fit *just* the way you want it. It makes cutting that expensive leather so much easier to do!

Tanit-Isis said...

Yay! Hooray for time and clarity---and simple fixes!

K.Line said...

I'm so glad you found this clarity after putting the project down for a little bit. I did wonder if you would be unhappy if you didn't go at it a bit further (I just got that sense from your tone), so I'm really pleased you've come to this great conclusion! Cannot wait to see this finished garment.