Friday, April 6, 2012

Leather Jacket: Muslin 3.0

After the disaster that was the faux leather muslin (pew!) I couldn't wait to get started on muslin 3.0, in the same homely denim as 1.0.  Here are the results.



Front:  I'm pretty happy with the length of this jacket, so that's one thing to cross off the list. There's a little bit of bunching around the midriff that I have to smooth out. The solution is probably to let the hips out a bit so that the jacket isn't riding up in the middle.



Back: I think I've mostly worked out the fit across the back at this point. This view makes me wonder if I should raise the shoulder a bit. What do you think?



Side: You can see that there are some wrinkles at the high bust and into the armscye. They are actually excess fabric, not pulling. So, I need to generally tighten things up over the bust and through the armscye. Also, you can see that the lapel is not lying flat. This could be because of how I lengthened it. So, I'll try taking a small wedge out of it to tighten it up.I had to do this with my Lady Grey coat, so it isn't unexpected.

 

Sleeve: A little finessing of the sleeve cap and further narrowing from about the bicep to the wrist and I think the sleeve will be good to go.

My fingers are crossed that on Monday I'll be able to tell you that this is the final muslin version!

Happy Sewing! And for those of you celebrating Easter or Passover, have a lovely weekend!

10 comments:

poppykettle said...

Its beginning to look schmiko. Definitely agree on the raising of the sleeve - you want that nice straight line the sleeve seam gives from the back! It certainly does pay to muslin for something as special as this though, eh! So close.... :)

poppykettle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Faye Lewis said...

It makes you wonder how in the world we ever buy clothes that fit since they are made for people in general rather than individual personal body shapes. You are doing great. I have no doubt - you'll do as well as you did with that Lady Grey.

T. Sedai said...

I think letting out the hips will help a lot with smoothing fabric in the middle section (speaking from experience here). I also think your proposed changes for fixing up the sleeve and armscye will be beneficial as well. As for raising the shoulder... perhaps just a smidge? I think it might be helpful to the sleeve if you raise them just a little bit.

Laura Mae said...

Oohh - I just know all of your patience is going to pay off! That jacket is going to be fabulous! It definitely deserves some wonderful fabric.

On another note, I would like to nominate you for a Liebster Blog Award. Feel free to pass it along if you wish!

House of Pinheiro said...

yeah, great effort.. keep going.. its going to turn out amazing

Catherine Daze said...

It's looking good. The back view is really flattering! (Not that the front and sides aren't, but the peplum is great)

Anonymous said...

This jacket is really starting to come together. It's going to look amazing and well worth all the effort of these muslins.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

So much patience! But the fit is really coming along. Love, love that back peplum.

Clio said...

Yeah, all of you who encouraged me to do the version with the peplum were SO right!