Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Happy Birthday, Phineas: Behind Every Good Woman...

V-Day 2011
You may wonder at times why this blog is "Clio & Phineas", since I do the vast majority of the posts. But, since it's his birthday today, I'd like to highlight the major behind-the-scenes role Phin plays.
  
Phin photographs me over and over again in my latest sewn creations for this blog. He works from home, so is constantly emailing me photos at work since I generally blog while eating lunch, but rarely ever remember to upload photographs when I'm at home.

He's always been the one to do our laundry (in all seriousness, I have not done laundry this century). So, without my asking, he washes and dries all my fabric, being careful to check with me about how each should be treated. And he has even learned how to mark a hem and help me pin fit muslins.

When I bake, he can often be found in the kitchen next to me chopping an ingredient, doing dishes as I use them, or lifting my heavy stand mixer. He knows my preferred brand of chocolate chip - there's always a supply in the pantry. And if he knows I'm planning to make something, the ingredients often "magically" appear for me.

And he runs with me, never complaining that I go at a slower pace than him, holding him back. When I said I wanted to start training for a half marathon, he helped me plan my training and then found two races that we could build vacations around (Las Vegas or Bermuda - we haven't decided which yet). He is a genius at finding great travel deals. 

Last night, I planned to make ice cream in two flavors (strawberry and peach) for his birthday, since he doesn't love cake. By the time I arrived home, he had already unearthed my ice cream maker and put the core in the freezer. The strawberries and peaches were already prepped, too.

I sometimes think there must be more hours in the day where the rest of you sewing/baking/knitting/crafting/blogging people live. I don't understand how you all get so much done without a Phineas of your own. In ways both big and small, he is the best friend and partner in crime that a person could wish for.

Happy Birthday, Phineas! You are too wonderful for words!

14 comments:

Magenta said...

Aww. I got a little teary... Happy Birthday, Phin! We love you too xo

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

You've have lucked into a wonderful party and for all he does I'm wishing Phin a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

That should read "a wonderful MAN" geeze fingers moving faster than the brain!

Clio said...

You know what Carolyn, life with him is a party! So, I know exactly what you meant. LOL ;-)

ELMO said...

Happy Birthday Phin.... does he have a brother ;)

Kimbersew said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PHINEAS!! have a glorious time of it!

Mar-Mar said...

Happy Birthday Phineas!! I hope you enjoyed your day (and ice cream)!

Anonymous said...

And I thought I had the last good guy.

Happy birthday, Phineas! Hope it's as splendid as you are.

Andrea said...

Happy B-day Phin. Girl, you know a good man is sometimes hard to find and from what it sounds like you got one of the great ones. I know you are enjoying it/him. =)

Phin said...

Thanks for all the b-day wishes! BTW: strawberry + peach ice cream makes the best breakfast ever!

Clio said...

At least you got some fruit. Ha ha ha

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What a wonderful post! Thank you for letting us know all the ways Phin is special. Happy (belated) birthday!

Sheila said...

Happy Belated Birthday Phin!!!

dhyana said...

Wowzer .. woman of great fortune !