Yesterday was Calliope's birthday. As a special treat, Orpheus and I made chocolate covered strawberries for his mom, the birthday girl.
Orpheus is a wonderful little chef. He is great at measuring and stirring, and he listens to directions very well. We always begin our cooking projects by remembering the 3 B's of cooking: Be Careful (let grown-ups do the grown-up jobs like cutting and touching hot pots), Be Prepared (read the recipe so we know the steps and have all the ingredients), and Be Clean (clean our hands and our work area, and clean up after ourselves).
Anyway, here is our master recipe for Chocolate Dipped Strawberries.
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate morsels (extra for nibbling)
1 quart strawberries
- Wash your strawberries and carefully pat them dry.
- Pour the morsels into a bowl. Sample a few to make sure they are good before you put the bowl in the microwave.
-Microwave on med-hi for 2 minutes and then take the bowl out and stir. Microwave and stir as much as needed, in 1-2 minute intervals, until the chips are melted and smooth.
- Dip the strawberries one at a time into the chocolate. Use a bamboo skewer or fondue fork to do the dipping if you want. When you lift the strawberry from the bowl slowly twirl it around to catch any dripping chocolate.
- Put strawberries on a pan in the fridge so the chocolate will harden.
- Lick the spoon that you used to stir the melting chocolate.