Monday, March 7, 2016

Men's Hudson Pants for Phin

I've been sewing up a storm, but still struggling to find time to photograph my work during daylight hours. Case in point, these True Bias Men's Hudson Pants were actually a Valentine's Day gift. Sheesh!

V-Day Hudsons for my sweet


Because Phin and I are trying to equally share in parenting Taco, Phin spends a lot of time pushing the stroller around town or with Taco in a carrier. So, I made him some Men's Hudson pants as a casual and cozy alternative to either jeans or athletic wear. They fill the niche in his wardrobe that a favorite pair of yoga or harem pants fills for me.


Phin takes modeling his Hudsons very seriously. 


Actually, I should give credit where it's due: Phin actually suggested that these would be good for him. I think he's right.


No smiles here. Modeling is hard work.


I sewed these up in a very soft and somewhat beefy sweatshirt fleece that I bought at AK Fabrics. It's pretty much your classic sweatshirt fabric. NYer's, am I the only one who tends to overlook AK Fabrics?  I almost never go in, but when I do I always think that I should shop there more often. They always seem to have a selection of whatever fabric is having it's moment (like scuba and sweatshirt fleece) plus a range of nice quality basics at good prices (for NY).




I didn't make any changes to this pattern except for taking them in a bit at the waist. I love that the seam allowances are just 3/8", but I erred on the side of caution when picking a size because of it. In my next version (already half sewn), I've gone down by two sizes, for a sleeker fit throughout.

There's not a whole lot to say about these. They're a modern cut sweatpant that's easy peasy to sew. I mostly used my serger. The feature that I really like are the pockets. Rather than a simple inseam pocket, these functional slash pockets are also a nice design feature.




It's crazy that it took so long to photograph these since Phin has been practically living in them, which was all the validation I needed to get anothe pair in the works. I fear these ones may have a very short but intense lifespan.

I'll leave you with a few pics of my boys at the playground yesterday afternoon.












No comments: