Thursday, March 6, 2014

McQueen Jacket Update

Several hours last weekend were spent hunched over my Alexander McQueen jacket pieces and instructions.

Mid-afternoon on Saturday, I mostly figured things out.



Then on Sunday afternoon, I had a breakthrough - something that made all the pieces make sense and come together like magic. Every mark and notch lined up perfectly. The pleats were exactly as they should be. And it made me realize, not for the first time, the genius of Alexander McQueen and how sad it is that his life was so tragically short. This is a brilliant and beautiful pattern.




So, I've scrapped the instructions for the back pleating that came with the pattern and reordered them to a way that makes more sense to me.  I just can't stand not knowing how a specific step contributes to the end result.  Also, there are a few nuances that I think the bare bones instructions miss a little bit.Anyway, I have a few more fine points to work out so my revised instructions may take a little while.





As for my actual jacket, I'm on the home stretch. But I've realized that my fabric is a fail; it is simply too soft and dense for the pleating. It isn't going to do justice to the pattern. I will finish it, but as a wearable muslin to add some fun to jeans and casual outfits. I'm already shopping for fabric for my ultimate version.

Stay tuned!

8 comments:

Clio said...

The pleats look beautifully executed regardless! I went back through the internet and found the version that I loved of it - in that fabric it looks like a beautifully origami-d kimono jacket.

Clio said...

Well the last step is adding the collar/lapel thing. So I won;t know 100% until I do that and see how it fits. But I'm optimistic. It seems to be working. Plus, I think the bust would be easier to alter than the back. There is far less going on.

Clio said...

It is coming along beautifully; bummer about the fabric. That pattern looks like a fun challenge.

Clio said...

It's generous across the boobs - but the waist is tiny. If Clio is going to post new pleating instructions I'm going to have to make this again!

Clio said...

Ha! Let's hope my instructions are an improvement! Yes, the waist is small. Wisely I added a bit to the side seams, just in case!

Clio said...

Looking good! This will be one darn amazing wearable muslin!

Clio said...

That is an amazing pattern! very impressive that you're figuring it out. Love the grey/black animal print, but agree with you that it would hide some of the fantastic details of this jacket. Can't wait to see the one you sew in the upcoming fabric!

Clio said...

I am so excited by this project.