Friday, December 20, 2013

In the Works: New Years Eve/Anniverary Outfit

Things are pretty busy with holiday baking, shopping and merriment, but I'm trying to finish up a few more projects by the end of 2014. One of the sewing projects that I have in the works is my knock off of this:

BCBG Max Azria


I know. I've been talking about the top for a while now. But I've decided that it will be the perfect outfit for the holidays - including New Year's Eve, aka Phin and my anniversary - if I make the trousers, too.
  
So, here's where things stand. I've traced and then diced up the raglan tee pattern making the changes I needed and adding in seam allowances for the new pieces. I made the net cut out not quite as deep as the inspiration piece, but still deeper than most people would wear (ie: more tape!).




I bought black matte jersey and illusion net. So, I'm ready to cut and sew the top.

For the trousers, I decided to give Burda 04-2011-120 a try. 

Burda 04-2011-120

These are definitely a much wider/fuller and higher waist trouser than my norm. But I'm enjoying trying out different styles lately - things I might have only recently passed over as being not for me.


Nice details!


And these trousers - though different from the BCBG inspiration ones - have some really great features like welt pockets and cuffs. I'm a sucker for trousers with cuffs for some reason.

I've muslined them, made some changes and am going to sew them up in this beautiful stretch wool suiting that I bought at Mood. I was worried about pretreating the wool, so I sent it to my drycleaner to have it steam pressed. How do you like to pretreat wool?


Ralph Lauren Suiting -  It's a bit brighter in person

Since there are three welt pockets to sew, I decided to bone up on my pocket skills. I've always found welt pockets tricky. I'm watching Kenneth King's Craftsy class on drafting and sewing pockets. It's excellent. I know that different teachers and teaching styles resonate with different people, but I find that KK explains things in a way that makes sense to me. 

So that's where things stand. Now let's see if I can get it all done in time for the holidays!

7 comments:

Clio said...

So cool, I can't wait to see how the final project comes out. I love when people sew with a vision. Good luck getting everything done for the Holidays!

Clio said...

You are going to be the belle of the ball on New Year's Eve!

Clio said...

Such ambition! Good luck with getting all this done, and thanks for the inspiration throughout the year. Happy Holidays!

Clio said...

Ooh lala! Good luck! The top really is so beautiful.

Clio said...

I cannot wait to see this outfit. That top is killer. I love it!

Clio said...

cannot wait to see it! and where did you get the mesh? i'm thinking i need some myself for a similar project...i'm all about sheer yokes right now. terrifying, really.

Clio said...

Actually, I bought two different sheers, one at Mood and then one at Spandex House. I'm still a bit up in the air on which I will use but will let you know. I'm really into the sheer yolk or sleeves at the moment. So I have plans for the leftovers. ;-)