Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Freak Blizzard in Hell: Clio to Blame! (Finished Tee)

Residents of the Sixth Circle of Hell awoke this morning to freak blizzard-like conditions as unusual weather patterns were recorded throughout many of the circles of Hell. Frost and flurries were reported as far away as the Meadow of Asphodel.

Demons and denizens alike were mystified by the storms until meteorologists unearthed the cause. Apparently, after firmly vowing that she would never ever (not ever, people!) sew a tee shirt, Clio has done just that.

"The Guilty Party"

Outrage from residents is palpable. Sisyphus, a longtime Asphodel resident commented: "How am I supposed to push my boulder up this hill again and again with frost on the ground?!?! The nerve of her! And just look how smug and happy she looks. It's not right."   

In defense of her sewing, Clio issued a statement:
How was I to know that hell would literally freeze over if I sewed a tee shirt?

I'm sure there's a lesson in all this about the road to hell and paving, but I really did start out innocently and with the best of intentions. This was supposed to be a muslin for this BCBG top that I plan to knock off for the holidays.

BCBG MaxAzria

But then I found this Alexander McQueen pima cotton jersey with an awesome tattoo motif  at Elliott Berman and I had left over silk jersey from my V1342 dress to use for the sleeves. So, it just sort of happened that a muslin morphed into a wearable muslin and then a finished designer-esque tee shirt.
Besides, this isn't really your average tee shirt, is it? I mean, it's pretty high end given the materials. So, can you really classify it as a tee? I think not.
Anyway, the pattern (V8670) worked out pretty well. Aside from my usual lengthening above the waist and grading out at the hips, I didn't make many changes. I made the neckline a little wider by sewing a smaller seam allowance at the armscyes, which I won't do in the next version. I also hemmed it shorter than drafted. It's a little too close fitting for the BCBG top, so I'll have to add some ease. But other than that, I'm pretty happy with it and plan to get going on the BCBG version.
Love the motif!

I think that extra ease will make the swayback a non-issue

Sleeve fit out of envelope is pretty great!

Anyway, given the frost in hell, let's agree to call this frosting, shall we? That's my story and I'm sticking to it! And again, I too am shocked by my weather controlling abilities. Who knew? I wonder what would happen if I sewed a Shanel jacket? Hmmm.... interesting...
Outrage remains high among residents as the big dig out begins, calling Clio's explanation "flimsy at best." However, approval for the skull, hearts and knives motifs on the fabric seems to have softened the opinions among demon-kind.


Frosting?


Pattern Review here:  V8670



**********
Thanks for all the thoughtful comments on Saturday's post. Please keep them coming if you have more to say. I love being part of a community that has strong opinions, but embraces differences of opinion. Also, it does us credit that we sing the praises of the businesses that support the thing that we are passionate about. Where would we be without the teachers, pattern makers, fabric stores, notions sellers and everyone else that provides us with the paint and canvas to make our masterpieces? I think that it's an exciting moment to be a sewist - we have so many options and an enthusiastic and supportive community to cheer us on.

23 comments:

Clio said...

Hilarious post! And I think that not-t shirt looks fab.

Clio said...

Great tee shirt and great fit!

Clio said...

Definitely too fabulous to be just a t-shirt. And I am super excited to see your knock off version when you get there! Looks awesome!


Also, you have to let me know if you do end up planning on making a Shanel jacket - if we make them at the same time it could put a stop to global warming. But a few amazing blog posts, a new sewing book, and an oddly cute pattern in a Patrones I just got have me pondering in that direction as well. Hmmmm. Hmmmm indeed.

Clio said...

Ha - global warming indeed. I think it's only a matter of time, but not necessarily in the next 4 months. I have an idea, but am still not sold.

Clio said...

I am going to be the bad guy. It IS a t-shirt, albeit a lux version, but it is a t-shirt Clio. Love the print.


Damn all you people that have access to more than one fabric store, I am feeling jealous and petty. Stop showing off. Oh wait, no point in blogging if you don't show what you make. Never mind.

Clio said...

LOL. Yeah. Flimsy excuse at best, right?

Clio said...

If only all t-shirts were so luxe! I'll call this a 'delux pullover of bliss'

Clio said...

I think all I can say is wow! That's a really great t-shirt! Because, I feel like a great fitting and looking t-shirt is not as easy as some might think.

Clio said...

Thanks, but I think this is just one of those really well drafted patterns that flies under the radar. Really, the bust darts, the sleeves - all well done.

Clio said...

Such a great look! I love the raglan sleeves and contrasting fabric. Inspired...

Clio said...

O.M.G. Lust! So simple a T yet so high end designery! Fabulous. I think Lee McQueen would approve from Heaven. Speaking of whom, shame you're not in London right now. A new exhibit on Isabella Blow has just opened up.

And that Vogue Pattern. I thought I bought it too. But obviously I considered it, then changed my mind on thinking too hard over the illustration. I think you've just changed my mind. They should thank you for the sale they're just about to make.

Clio said...

This is not a tee shirt, this is something else all together. Maybe akin to what the Vanderbilts wore when they played croquet? I love this! It's lovely! I want one!

Clio said...

Oooh! Thanks for mentioning it! I'm completely infatuated with RP at the moment.



You know, I worried at first that it looked like pjs and should have matching footie pajama bottoms since it is so incredibly soft.

Clio said...

Ha! Only if I was the family's black sheep relation. LOL

Clio said...

Ha!! Loved reading this and I love your shirt. Can't wait to see your BCBG knock-off. That is one hot top!

Clio said...

Love your top! Vogue should use your photo as the cover photo on the envelope.

Clio said...

What a great top! Egads I need to get myself back to Elliot Berman and pick up some fabric.

Clio said...

They had SO many beautiful fabrics!

Clio said...

Beautiful top. You've solved a problem for me too. I have some sheer that I want to put with a solid and wondered if I should try to eliminate the seam on the raglan sleeve. I think the seam will be fine.

Clio said...

This is much more than just a t shirt, the fabric is wonderful what a great find.

Clio said...

Definitely not a boring t-shirt! I like that the tattoo print looks like traditional toile from a distance--until you get close enough to see what's actually going on.

Clio said...

Great looking top. I have this pattern too, but have not tried it yet. Thanks for the review.

Clio said...

Ha ha ha good story! And the fabric with tattoo print is great