Monday, May 6, 2013

Madam Clio Saves the Peplum Fetish Top!

Folks, I think that we can call my faux leather peplum top a save.



I hope you agree that it is far more... um... wearable in public now. 


This is how I would style it for work related events - with a ponte pencil skirt, pumps, silver jewelry and my specs. Betcha didn't know I wear glasses. I do, but only for seeing things that are far far away (ie: for driving, in movie theaters and walking through airports...) Somehow I think they make this edgy outfit a bit more serious.

For Work


This is how I styled it for a birthday dinner with my sister - with skinny jeans, edgier jewelry, and a purple clutch.


For Fun

A Little Recap
So, this was originally - and still mostly is - Very Easy Vogue 8815, a peplum top in three variations. I made view A, a sleeveless version, out of faux stretch leather and ponte knit.  Originally this top had darts from the waist to the bust, but that didn't work out so well for me, especially in faux leather.

So, I changed the darts into armscye princess seams while I was home recuperating from a cold last week. Princess seams really do wonders for my figure - they're a curvy gal's BFF. In addition, they eliminated the "headlight problem" that the darts created.

New princess seams

I also changed the front side pieces to ponte instead of faux leather to tone down the top just a bit.


Ponte sides with faux leather front.


I'm glad I saved this top since I really love the back with it's exposed zipper instead of an invisible zip. And, overall, I think the fit is spot on.  I think I am going to have to use the pattern pieces for this top to help me fit other bodices.

 
Back zipper.


There's not much to say about sewing this top. Since neither the ponte or the faux leather are going to fray, I simply pressed all the seams to one side, trimmed and top stitched them with a double needle. I made binding from the faux leather to finish the armscyes and neckline. Rather than turning the neck binding to the inside, I left some as a trim.




With my changes, this top fits really well and has the look and feel that I wanted. I think I'll get a lot of wear out of it until the peplum and faux leather trends go bust.


Don't make me get out my crop...

So ends our peplum fetish adventure. Stay tuned because I had a very busy and productive weekend and have loads to tell this week!

27 comments:

Clio said...

I like how you changed the top up and made it your own! It does fit really well now and I can see the versatility of it in your wardrobe!

Clio said...

It's perfect, fetish in the nicest way possible!

Clio said...

Great save! Love your version of this top and the different styling options you have with it!

Clio said...

Glad you managed to save this one. Is leather ever completely 'over'?

Clio said...

NEVER! IMHO. But this leather top trend could cool off pretty fast.

Clio said...

HELLO HOTTIE.


this reminds me, i owe you an email.


BUT HELLO HOTTIE.

Clio said...

Fabulous save!

Clio said...

Oooh! I'm so glad to see that you reworked this top. It fits you like a glove!

Clio said...

Clio you really operated on the top. You are a great surgeon.

Clio said...

I LOVE that last pic! :-) This thing looks great. I prefer it with the jeans - I think that's a perfect look - but it's lovely "professional-style" also. The zipper is terrific, btw.

Clio said...

I was about to say, "Where is your riding crop?!" and the noticed your caption on the last pic...super hot top! The fit is superb. You should def save those pattern pieces and use them as a princess seam pattern block (I would even trace and cut them out of thick paper, so they can be like a sloper from which to draft new princess seam patterns for yourself!

Clio said...

Oh what a great save. I'm so pleased as it looks fabulous styled both ways. Genius putting the ponte on the side panels. You should be so pleased with your efforts.

Clio said...

Looking mighty fine! Love the peplum top. The ponte knit panels were the right way to go.

Clio said...

Nice save! Looks so much better with the princess seams.

Clio said...

What a nice save Mistress Clio. Love it.

Clio said...

I love it. It's the perfect balance between naughty and nice and yep - princess seams all the way!!!

Clio said...

Beautiful top and love the use of the ponte knit.

Clio said...

Thanks, everyone! I'm feeling rather pleased about it. I definitely feel like it's much improved!

Clio said...

Yeah, that's what I will probably do so that I don't have to reinvent this wheel!

Clio said...

Actually, I tried it on last night with white trousers and that may actually be my new favorite look. Really, I think this top is more versatile than I originally thought it would be.

Clio said...

LOL - And this top definitely needed emergency surgery! It was on life support for a while!

Clio said...

It's just so amazing. Love that you used princess seams with the faux leather, and that amazing zipper down the back. You seriously rock peplums like no one else I know. Well done, my friend!

Clio said...

That is a killer outfit. Lady you look fierce.

Clio said...

Definitely a save! The fit is amazing and I really liked seeing the top styled in 2 different ways.

Clio said...

This looks AWESOME! Great save! It's so perfectly fitted, and I love the contrasting panels-- well done!

Clio said...

super cool top! love the fabric mix, makes the leather less overwhelming. the fit is perfect and you're totally rocking it!

Clio said...

Oh man, that is such a cool top, just love it combined with the jeans. A real head-turner :)